What is the oldest RWS you read with?

Shade

Hi All,

I had the pleasure of attending a "throwdown" of two Pam B decks at a recent Tarot gathering. A large number of onlookers arrived on the scene as the two decks were compared and one question that arose a couple of times was "Do you read with them?" The answer was no, and I feel like whenever I have spoken with a collector they do not read with the most prized decks in their collection.

While accomplished violinists pay top dollar to be able to play a 300 year old Stardivarius the wear and tear on tarot cards makes frequent use problematic. At a workshop on professional reading at the same conference people talked about how they bring their cheapest decks to gigs as spilled drinks and overturned wax candles are a common hazard.

I've just purchased my first pre-US Games copyright RWS and I definitely want to do readings with it. It's only about 40 or so years old so it's nothing like reading with one of those earlier decks, so I'm not risking a major tarot treasure when I shuffle them.

What is the oldest RWS tarot you read with?

What are the parameters for reading with it (just for yourself? Only with close friends?)

Do you feel you have a different experience reading with that edition than with a more recent one?

Le Fanu

*nervous cough*

I read with my Pam B

It's always a very special occasion but when it comes to shuffling and laying out, it's just like any other deck.

Shade

Oh well done! I knew someone had to be reading with the original gangstas

Le Fanu

Oh well done! I knew someone had to be reading with the original gangstas
I think the readings are of course the same, as with any deck. It's just that additional sense of "something special". Most of the time I use a well-thumbed, older (1993) Original RWS or a Blue Box (no copyright) plaid backed one which shuffles very nicely through use.

But I'll sometimes get the Pam B out. Not for others to shuffle but for me. And I always ponder how unlaminated cardstock can last 100 years. We don't need to laminate cards. My Pam B has been well used but is still in good condition.

But sadly, I notice I use the RWS less and less.

Debra

I read with my pre-copyright Rider deck. It was a birthday present in um 1971. It seems to be bulletproof. Like me.

Cerulean

Frankie's or Morgan's or University Books...

Congrads on your older vintage deck choice!

Vintage is a good thing and there's a certain charm with the 20th century groove of colors with a Frankie Albano's Waite Smith or delicately worn Morgan's pastel Aquarian...but I think my University Books vintage ones also receive their share of play. But I don't think it is the Stuck-in-the-Seventies retro nostalgia---more like I enjoy this coloring.

I actually am tending more toward some 1990's printings...the Original is my own quirky delight. But that is if I feel the desire for a Rider Waite style reading. No, I wouldn't talk about using any older decks very much and I still would be careful about certain books.

Yes, I read or use "vintaged" vintage decks, but my latest loves are more Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling (my sister found a first edition 1990's) and another quirky choice...
I do have a 2004....seven-year-old Celestial that was first printed in China before their Italian printing of the book and deck set and I like it's uneven and different feel. The beautiful shine to the newer printings and smoother feel are great, but I 'grew up' and continue to attach enjoyment to the older deck...

Cerulean