Which RWS ?

hunter

Yes. There is a very nice pocket version by USG, 2 1/4 X 3 1/2", printed in China, ISBN-13: 978-0-88079-346-9. It even has the yellow box, but the printing is much better than the full size version printed in Italy. Amazon.com or ebay might have it. If not, I have an unopened backup copy (still in the shrinkwrap) which I don't need.

Thanks for the ISBN #. Amazon has it for $10.66. But, I think I want to trim the deck Card Lady posted about, if I can get one.

Minotauro

I still can't make up my mind ! There is a shop 30 minutes bus ride away that has the original RW but anything else I will have to get online. And I hate hate hate waiting for stuff to arrive lol. Going to have another look at them online now and come to a decision. I'm a bit surprised to be honest, I've never wanted to have a RWS before. Not sure why I suddenly want it now.

then go for that one . no shipping fee no waiting , its cheaper , they arent all that diferent XD lol I had a regular , lost a card , and then got the original otherwise I'd still use that other uglier one , I mean if you dont like it all thta much and you want to have it because it is one fo those decks you haver to have to study , or for its historical importance , then anyone of them will do , and if it is ue to its historical importance you're lucky it's the original right? for me it was good because I didnt have and had never read the pictorial key to the tarot either.

Le Fanu

On reflection, I would say the (Printed in Belgium) Original is the best (for me). They say the China printing is good too. I love the Blue Box Rider & Co version but that's not a readily available one so no point recommending it.

Second place would be the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative set deck (U.S Games).

There are very nice colours - and backs - in the LoS Coleman Smith deck (Europe only release) but those darned titles and borders. Would trim beautifully, I suspect.

The mini yellow box was recommended further up the thread, worth bearing in mind as it retains the calligraphy titles which the standard sized deck doesn't.

The daubed Golden with caked mud, potato-coloured faces does nothing for me. Perhaps the worst of them all, but I don't really consider it RWS; it starts getting too removed.

Bhavana

The mini yellow box was recommended further up the thread, worth bearing in mind as it retains the calligraphy titles which the standard sized deck doesn't.

I am almost positive that the standard size yellow box (plaid card backs) printed in China (instead of Italy) has the calligraphy titles, along with the more matte finish - whereas, as we know, the Italian printing is glossy laminate and typed titles. The China printing is not as easy to find in the standard size - I was only able to find the mini - however, I heard that the deck that comes in the Tarot for Dummies book set is the China printing.

Hedera

My favorite is the US Games Commemorative; the LoS Centenary is probably in second place (and a very handy size, not nearly as big as the US Games one), if I could get around to trimming it...

If anyone would want to get their hands on the LoS Centenary and needs some European help, shoot me pm; something could probably be arranged. :)

Richard

The yellow box pocket size printed in China has the calligraphy titles, as does the yellow box mini printed in Bellgium. The Italian printings of both the Rider-Waite and the Albano-Waite are shoddy.

Le Fanu

Something I always meant to clarify; so there is a mini and a pocket yellow box RWS. I think I have the mini (kind of match box size), but is the pocket deck playing cards size? And do all editions of the pocket have the calligraphy titles?

Le Fanu

Thank you! That looks a very nice size. And do all editions have the caligraphy titles? Do I dare risk ordering one? I'm assuming this one is still Printed in Italy.

Bhavana

Something I always meant to clarify; so there is a mini and a pocket yellow box RWS. I think I have the mini (kind of match box size), but is the pocket deck playing cards size? And do all editions of the pocket have the calligraphy titles?

here are some pics of the yellow pocket with the playing cards and the regular size...the coin between the two 10 swords cards is a US dime. I love the pocket size, it's bigger than most mini decks, and has a great feel to it. - and my pocket size was a China printing (matte w/calligraphy) - not sure if they all are, I got mine at a store in Philadelphia that may have a website, if you wanted to try and order - they had a bunch of them.

Attachments

• rider size comparison 001.jpg
    rider size comparison 001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 125