Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Seaking of Rider Waite symbols (another one hehe)

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith

Resident

Lady Morgana 
Smile

could it be that the W means the element water which is actually the element the cups are based on. Well just a suggestion
Top   #11
Explore > Wonder < Repeat

Strange2 

The W could be an upside down M, and/or vice versa. As others indicated, the W could stand for "Water". Interestingly, the Hebrew letter "Mem" means "Water"... more M / W interplay.

Mem is also associated with the 23rd path on the Tree of Life, the path of the Hanged Man. Again, more "upside down" symbolism.

The Ace of Cups is often depicted as the Holy Grail, the cup from which Jesus drank Wine at the Last Supper, and which caught his blood when he was sacrificed on the cross. Another "cross"-reference to the Hanged Man.

Very enlightening how these symbols flow into one another...
Top   #12
"and you can't make me..."

VGimlet 

The dove was also sacred to Zeus, symbolized love to Aphrodite, and re-birth to Athena. I found a lot of pre-Christian dove symbolism out there, most of it positive.
Top   #13
Citizen

Liliana 

I think strange2 just convinced me to stick it in there, now i have to decide if i want to add an angel as well or not,decisions decisions the dove will be there too, as well as other symbols, non traditonal ones, but I want it to be a surprise hehe, Im into heavy symbolism
Top   #14
Resident

Niove 
Alan says 'M'

In Alan Oken's Pocket Guide To The Tarot, he says that, "The letter on the cup is an upside-down 'M,' indicating that 'matter' is ready to receive the blessings from heaven."

He also writes that the dove placing the wafer into the cup translates to "the loving compassion of the Divine Heart enters into our emotional life, raising it up."

I suppose you could call this insight Christian? Hope this helps Liliana.
Top   #15
Citizen

Liliana 

Yes that helps a lot, being the first meaning posted from a published book, not that I think a published person is any more valid than others hehe
Top   #16
Citizen

lunar_rabbit 
Each one of the suits represents an element, too

Pentacles = Earth
Swords = Fire
Wands = Air
Cups = Water

So, it makes sense to me that the W would mean water. Although, it doesn't look exactly like a W to me. Looks more like a symbol of some sort.
Top   #17
Citizen

Maan 

Maybe it is a rune. There is one that looks like a M
i believe it meens humanity.
Top   #18
Citizen

Malachite 

The runic symbol for humanity looks different...
The runic symbol that looks like that represents the female active principle...

It could be a contraction of the egyptian hieroglyphic for water...it represents the 'N' here...http://members.aol.com/egyptnew/hiero.html

water links to cups, but the shape is a little different, i agree...
Top   #19
Citizen

paradoxx 
23 ways about it

W could mean water but lets go a little more estoric here.

w is the 23 letter of our modern english alphabet. Psi is the 23rd letter of the greek alphabet. Psi as in psychic energy and psychology. so the ace of cups coudl represent psychic energy or the need for psych therapy or anything doing with the mind and spirit.

there is no standard 23rd major arcania and thus the 23rd card of the tarot deck could be any of the minor aces. so this card coudl represent the continuation of major life events as represented by the majors.

23 is a powerful number that relates to all religions and non-religous ideas. just search for 23 in a search engine and you will get soem interesting websites. this card could represent synchronisity in everyday life.

M is the 13th letter of the alphabet. M as in Man, W as in Woman. depending on if the card is reversed or not it could represent a gender.

jsut a few thoughts.
Top   #20

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.