Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Any suggestions for the Thoth forum?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 
Any suggestions for the Thoth forum?


As they say, I can only succeed Grigori, never replace him, but as I'm slowly taking up the mantle of responsibilities I thought I would hear from people if they have any suggestions to make, changes that would make the place better, things that should be added or removed, etc. I can't promise everything will come to pass, (some things aren't up to me) but I do think opinions are important.

I'll be updating the forum rules soon, mainly so that people will contact me if they need anything, I have nothing to add to Grigori's excellent summation.

This also refers to the Kabbalah and Golden Dawn forums, since there's no point in multiple threads like this.

So... shoot, this is your thread.
Top   #1
earthair  earthair is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Oct 2014
Location: Parallel Universe
Posts: 3,076
earthair 

Hi
I was wondering if we could have a subforum called Magical Use of Tarot cards?
It doesn't really fit anywhere at the moment, because Beyond Tarot is where the magical discussions are supposed to happen!

Apologies if there already is one, but I can't see it, and I noticed all the LBRP type discussions end up in GD...
Top   #2
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 

LBRP threads end up in GD because it is a GD ritual. Between the Thoth and GD forums there has always been a blurry line, but forum rules also dictate that some topics belong in Spirituality, which is for subscribers. Can't do much about that, but I think that magical uses for Tarot cards could be in Talking Tarot, although it is better to ask the mods of that forum.
Top   #3
earthair  earthair is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Oct 2014
Location: Parallel Universe
Posts: 3,076
earthair 

Quote:
Originally Posted by closrapexa View Post
LBRP threads end up in GD because it is a GD ritual.
Indeed, LBRP isn't really tarot related, it's more 'magic minus tarot' type stuff- yet it is in the tarot zone, while 'tarot plus magic' ends up out of the tarot zone or not discussed at all.

How about a Temple/Ceremonial/Ritual/Magical use of Tarot cards section somewhere? I personally think it would be best near at hand to the Thothy/GD folks though.
I'll wander over to Using Tarot Cards and see what the new moderators think over there
Top   #4
Alta's Avatar
Alta  Alta is offline
Golden Silvery Dionna
 
Join Date: 06 Aug 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,056
Alta 

At the moment, Talking Tarot would take such threads. If there were enough threads and ongoing interest, then a new sub forum would be formed. But real interest has to be shown otherwise such a forum starts to look empty.
Top   #5
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by closrapexa View Post
As they say, I can only succeed Grigori, never replace him, but as I'm slowly taking up the mantle of responsibilities I thought I would hear from people if they have any suggestions to make, changes that would make the place better, things that should be added or removed, etc. I can't promise everything will come to pass, (some things aren't up to me) but I do think opinions are important.

I'll be updating the forum rules soon, mainly so that people will contact me if they need anything, I have nothing to add to Grigori's excellent summation.

This also refers to the Kabbalah and Golden Dawn forums, since there's no point in multiple threads like this.

So... shoot, this is your thread.
A like button ?

Top   #6
La Force  La Force is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,522
La Force 

Seriously, I would love to see a sub section here for Thoth based Decks, and would love a sub section for all the Thoth Decks. I feel this to be important to the Thoth community.

Here is some examples:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rosetta/
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards...a-mundi-tarot/

Also for decks like this; Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot - Thoth Based, The help people would gain by having a sub-section here for these decks. priceless.

La Force
Top   #7
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 

Actually discussion of those decks is welcome here, according to the Thoth forum guidelines (which I recently kind of updated and "reapproved."). Some decks have their own study groups in the section reserved for it, but I see no reason why there shouldn't be discussed here in appropriate amounts.

I say appropriate not to censor anyone, just that if you want to go deep into a deck, a study group is the best way to go about it. The Mary-el, at least, has its own study group here, and if study of another deck reaches "critical mass" in terms of interest and number of threads, a new group could be opened.

Opening new secions is something that seems to be suggested again and again, and to address why this doesn't happen, this is because opening new sections is driven by user interest. Sections have been opened before when enough threads and interest warrant it. Lenormand was once a small sub-section until it generated enough interest, and then it got a section of its own, as have other topics. The forum has changed dramatically over time, with new sections being opened and closed. Just to give you an idea how much it has changed, due again to user interest, check out the very first iteration of the forum at the Internet archive, from 2002.

So start posting about Thoth-related decks and when it happens that there are too many of these threads for the Thoth forum to hold, then we'll see what will happen. Also, read the Thoth guidelines that both allow discussion of Thoth related decks and also show where to find them.

In this sense the Thoth forum gives a lot more flexibility than the RWS forum which is only about the RWS, while its clones are discussed mainly in Using Tarot Cards. Here in Thoth, on the other hand, discussion of all Thoth related decks is welcome and encouraged (a Thelemic thing, I assure you ).
Top   #8
La Force  La Force is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,522
La Force 

Quote:
Originally Posted by closrapexa View Post
Actually discussion of those decks is welcome here, according to the Thoth forum guidelines (which I recently kind of updated and "reapproved."). Some decks have their own study groups in the section reserved for it, but I see no reason why there shouldn't be discussed here in appropriate amounts.

I say appropriate not to censor anyone, just that if you want to go deep into a deck, a study group is the best way to go about it. The Mary-el, at least, has its own study group here, and if study of another deck reaches "critical mass" in terms of interest and number of threads, a new group could be opened.

Opening new secions is something that seems to be suggested again and again, and to address why this doesn't happen, this is because opening new sections is driven by user interest. Sections have been opened before when enough threads and interest warrant it. Lenormand was once a small sub-section until it generated enough interest, and then it got a section of its own, as have other topics. The forum has changed dramatically over time, with new sections being opened and closed. Just to give you an idea how much it has changed, due again to user interest, check out the very first iteration of the forum at the Internet archive, from 2002.

So start posting about Thoth-related decks and when it happens that there are too many of these threads for the Thoth forum to hold, then we'll see what will happen. Also, read the Thoth guidelines that both allow discussion of Thoth related decks and also show where to find them.

In this sense the Thoth forum gives a lot more flexibility than the RWS forum which is only about the RWS, while its clones are discussed mainly in Using Tarot Cards. Here in Thoth, on the other hand, discussion of all Thoth related decks is welcome and encouraged (a Thelemic thing, I assure you ).
Dear Closrapexa, thank you, I am so delighted to read this, [emoji1]
Top   #9
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 

Quote:
Originally Posted by closrapexa View Post
In this sense the Thoth forum gives a lot more flexibility than the RWS forum which is only about the RWS, while its clones are discussed mainly in Using Tarot Cards. Here in Thoth, on the other hand, discussion of all Thoth related decks is welcome and encouraged (a Thelemic thing, I assure you ).
Tongue-in-cheek devil's advocate. What exactly constitutes a "Thoth related deck"? This question has been floating around for years, and I am still none the wiser.

Is it a deck that illustrates the Thelemic philosophy and world view via the Tarot.

Is it a deck that merely copies the original Thoth images? Kind of Ersatz Thoth.

Or is it a deck that just happens to share a similar structure with the Thoth? If so, can I start posting in the Marseilles subforum? After all, the Thoth is obviously a Marseilles related deck.
Top   #10




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.