Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Clockwork Ghost

I have too many decks now to really go through them and pick out the ones I don't really like, but there are certainly a few I only bought so I could say a certain part of the collection was complete. I know the decks I now avoid though, and they tend to fall under the following parameters:

1. Anything that simply mimics a more famous deck to gain leverage off it - mostly decks that try to copy the standard Rider-Waite images, but make the pictures more gothicky, or witchy. This is a fine line though - some concept decks are cool, others take it way too far.

2. Any deck that has childish looking art, or is too art nouveau. I like pretty decks, not ones that I could have drawn myself.

3. Any deck that doesn't have some link to traditional imagery, even if it's just a couple of Hebrew letters or a planetary symbol. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and I read decks from a traditional perspective, so I like to have cues on the cards.

Yeah, that's about it, I guess. :)

Bullfly7

I am new to the forum and relatively new to tarot. I saw the Wild Unknown tarot deck and was really really drawn to it and it inspired me to get back into Tarot. But when I received it, I was actually underwhelmed by it. It saddens me to think of it now because I just wanted it so badly that I hadn't considered other decks. I looked at a few but nothing peaked my interest.

So I kind of wished I had waited to buy my Wild Unknown deck. I like it but don't love it and usually avoid using it. Im sure I am weird for that.

rylla

I am new to the forum and relatively new to tarot. I saw the Wild Unknown tarot deck and was really really drawn to it and it inspired me to get back into Tarot. But when I received it, I was actually underwhelmed by it. It saddens me to think of it now because I just wanted it so badly that I hadn't considered other decks. I looked at a few but nothing peaked my interest.

So I kind of wished I had waited to buy my Wild Unknown deck. I like it but don't love it and usually avoid using it. Im sure I am weird for that.

There is no weird person in tarot community :D

Nina*

On the other hand it did inspire you to get back into tarot, so that's kind of good, yes?!!

To stay on topic... um... quite a few. Gendron comes to mind. :bugeyed:

Bullfly7

On the other hand it did inspire you to get back into tarot, so that's kind of good, yes?!!

I suppose that this is true BUT I would have still been inspired without buying it. So its one of those you live and learn, or really, buy and learn.

FLizarraga

There is no weird person in tarot community :D

Amen to that. It has happened to me so many times... :bugeyed:

Mind you, I'm getting better at it --but it still gets me.

Alta

Gendron. oof. I had forgotten about that one, long turfed out of my collection too.

MaryHeather

The one deck I own that I guess I regret is the original Nigel Jackson Tarot.

Beautiful? Yes. Cardstock and finish? Awesome. Size? Just about perfect. So what's the problem?

This deck is the most conceited, pissy, self-absorbed deck I have ever come across. It's like the Anna Wintour of tarot decks.

I have, however, decided to keep it- in a beat up ziplock bag in a drawer separate from the rest of my decks. Every month or so, I take it out and work with it for a few days, and inevitably make the statement, "yep, you're still a bitch", and put it back in the drawer for another month.

Metafizzypop

The one deck I own that I guess I regret is the original Nigel Jackson Tarot........

This deck is the most conceited, pissy, self-absorbed deck I have ever come across. It's like the Anna Wintour of tarot decks.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who had that impression of Anna Wintour. I'm wondering what the Nigel Jackson Tarot could be like to make it seem comparable. I rather do like the art on that deck.

Anyway, the only deck I've ever had second thoughts about was the Tarot of Atlantis. It makes no sense at all. The LWB meanings don't even match up with the illustrations on the cards. It's total confusion.

I keep it and sometimes use it, though. It's become a challenge at this point.