What is in cups of 7 of cups?

foolMoon

Here is information I got from "The Western Mysteries" book (by David Allen Hulse) about the 7 of Cups symbolism and its origins. It says The Golden Dawn title for this card is "Lord of Illusory Success", and had been defined by S. L. Mathers as a variety of vices and illusions, in line with the astrological attribution of this card as the third decan of Scorpio as Venus in Scorpio.

Full meaning of the 7 of cups symbolism
==========================
Woman's head (from head of The Empress)- Venus - Lust (fornification)

Veiled Figure (from The High Priestess and veil) - Moon - Deception (in love and friendship, fantasy, eros in lurid nature)

Snake (from Serpent around Magician's wrist)- Mercury - Lying (or Error)

Castle (from The Tower on Mountain)- Mars - Promise unfulfilled (wrath)

Jewels (from The Wheel of fortune)- Jupiter - Vanity (Success gained but not followed up)

Wreath and skull (from dancer in The World)- Saturn - Illusory Success (victory followed by deception)

Winged Dragon (from Horse off The Sun)- Sun - Drunkenness (selfish dissipation, vegetable drug under the Sun's rulership, which is alcohl)

Abrac

I believe the "dragon" is supposed to be a Basilisk. Descriptions of it have changed down through the centuries but normally it has a crest on the head, serpent's tail, and usually wings. The one thing that's constant is its horrible gaze, one look can kill. Notice its menacing gaze. :)

Teheuti

Here is information I got from "The Western Mysteries" book (by David Allen Hulse) about the 7 of Cups symbolism and its origins. It says The Golden Dawn title for this card is "Lord of Illusory Success", and had been defined by S. L. Mathers as a variety of vices and illusions, in line with the astrological attribution of this card as the third decan of Scorpio as Venus in Scorpio.
I discussed my own version of the Vices angle in this card in a podcast last year. I mentioned it earlier here but it was dismissed so I chose not to argue the point. I do believe that the vices are being alluded to in the GD tarot, although that's not the primary way that I personally read the card.

bluelagune

Full meaning of the 7 of cups symbolism
==========================
Woman's head (from head of The Empress)- Venus - Lust (fornification)

Veiled Figure (from The High Priestess and veil) - Moon - Deception (in love and friendship, fantasy, eros in lurid nature)

Snake (from Serpent around Magician's wrist)- Mercury - Lying (or Error)

Castle (from The Tower on Mountain)- Mars - Promise unfulfilled (wrath)

Jewels (from The Wheel of fortune)- Jupiter - Vanity (Success gained but not followed up)

Wreath and skull (from dancer in The World)- Saturn - Illusory Success (victory followed by deception)

Winged Dragon (from Horse off The Sun)- Sun - Drunkenness (selfish dissipation, vegetable drug under the Sun's rulership, which is alcohl)

Interesting association. Mercury is the old medicin man. The draggon looks like power. Same. Moon and high priestess for vailed figure does point into extra ordinary abilities. Maybe superpowers?

bluelagune

I believe the "dragon" is supposed to be a Basilisk. Descriptions of it have changed down through the centuries but normally it has a crest on the head, serpent's tail, and usually wings. The one thing that's constant is its horrible gaze, one look can kill. Notice its menacing gaze. :)

Can you elaborate on word Basilisk?

bluelagune

I discussed my own version of the Vices angle in this card in a podcast last year. I mentioned it earlier here but it was dismissed so I chose not to argue the point. I do believe that the vices are being alluded to in the GD tarot, although that's not the primary way that I personally read the card.

I did look into vices but it was not something Im searching for. Im trying to figure out what is missing out of this list in one of my readings, except Im not 100% sure what those figures represent.
Also, to get to 10 cups we need another three. Whats in them?

Abrac

The Basilisk is a fantastic creature from myth and lore. Here's a link to the Wikipedia article.

Basilisk

Teheuti

Im trying to figure out what is missing out of this list in one of my readings, except Im not 100% sure what those figures represent.
Also, to get to 10 cups we need another three. Whats in them?
While the list of vices is certainly of interest, it may or may not have anything to do with an individual's reading. What the images in the 7 cups represent is not definitive! A true symbol has unlimited referents (versus a sign or emblem). The objects in the 7 of Cups refer to fantasies and the imagination, as has been said here a couple of times. They do not refer to the Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 of Cups, nor do the 8, 9 and 10 of Cups have objects inside of them. Your fantasy about this is as good as mine.

Barleywine

I just use the Thoth and don't obsess over this. Crowley had no illusions about what it meant to him. On-topic, though, I just see them as an illusory - and maybe delusional - state of unrealistic expectations and phantasmal anxieties, and don't sweat the details. It seems to have a little of the "kid in a candy store" vibe to it (although these days it would probably be a Toy 'R' Us - candy comes out of a plastic bag from Walmart).