Question from a newcomer to Tarot

ZenMusic

>cautioned me that anyone who is not serious about reading Tarot should not buy this deck or even own it

any study of the Thoth, will make you a better/wiser person..
for you're studying yourself, the universe, life .. so even 1 day of looking at the deck will be a useful/valuable day in your life , even if you never continued beyond that day

Thoth has great depth, it's a masterpiece, I don't much care for crowley (the person, at least as the public knows him), but he knew his stuff..and this deck is a great achievement..

learn the Thoth and you'll learn Tarot, and metaphysics and myth etc.

my recommend Books
Hajo Banzhaf, Tarot As Your Companion: A Practical Guide to the Rider-Waite and Crowley Thoth Tarot Decks

Banzhaf The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards

Crowley The Book of Thoth (a dense, but a profound read, but requires research for all the allusions it makes)

Duquette's book is shallow but a fun easy read (commentary on Crowley's book) but has 1 very good chapter on the Rosey Cross

at all costs, avoid Integral Tarot (Integral Tarot: Decoding the Essence) by Suzanne Wagner (for Thoth)

a passing study of the Rider Waite should be done, simply because of it's historical importance, but it's not a great deck for me.. but the attributions, card order, images are much better in Thoth

ravenest

Razordance said:
You don't need to subscribe to his views or approve of his actions in order to effectively use the cards that he put his mystical knowledge into creating. ...

Although I agree with that comment, I also disagree with it. Yes you can use Thoth anyway you want, like your 'standard' deck. You can ignore the symbols and what they mean and what the cards mean.

But Thoth IS different, the concepts and ideas are different, it IS a New Aeon deck, and some concepts and ideas of conciousness are very different, so what's the point of using this deck if one is not going to take those things 'on board', if not, fine, save the money and use the deck you have, or get Thoth and use it like your old deck ('cause you like the pretty pictures?). If you want to USE and WORK WITH Thoth, prepare to change (or keep the procees of change going) in your conciousness - esp. in deep set areas like guilt).

ravenest

ZenMusic said:
at all costs, avoid Integral Tarot (Integral Tarot: Decoding the Essence) by Suzanne Wagner (for Thoth)

Why so?

Sophie

Edge said:
Again this is true tarot creators may be subject to criticism, but I'm not sure this was the nature of the original question.
You're right. Got sidetracked :D

Sophie

ZenMusicDuquette's book is shallow but a fun easy read (commentary on Crowley's book) but has 1 very good chapter on the Rosey Cross[/QUOTE said:
I don't thinnk I'd call it shallow, so much as a good introduction to the Thoth and to Crowley's thinking. It's only shallow if you remain there and don't go deeper with Crowley himself.

I like the Banzhaf, but it can be very dense, and I find the edition difficult to read - just not that well organised. And the translation is wobbly.

Crowley himself - that's the one to read :). He could write!

Edge

ravenest said:
But Thoth IS different, the concepts and ideas are different, it IS a New Aeon deck, and some concepts and ideas of conciousness are very different,

Judging by certain tones amongst some of the Thoth forum threads, this is apparently a difficult concept for many Thoth users to grasp. For many there is still a clinging to the old Aeon. This is to be expected in these dark ages. For many the seed of the New Aeon and it's law have indeed been planted but not yet realized.

Edge

Helvetica said:
I don't thinnk I'd call it shallow, so much as a good introduction to the Thoth and to Crowley's thinking. It's only shallow if you remain there and don't go deeper with Crowley himself.
I find Duquette to be quite refreshing, I reference his book on the Thoth often. But as you stated "its only shallow if you remain there and don't go deeper.." :)

HOLMES

yup but

not many people are ready to go deeper to reading the mad genius himself, mr crowley
yet the toth works well without reading any crowley.