Can't decide which deck to "hack up"

Edge

Let's see if a thread title making reference to "hacking up" a Thoth deck gets anyone's attention! :) Hi everyone, thanks to a couple ebay auctions I've recently become the proud owner of two previously owned Thoth decks. After doing a little reading on the Thoth editions thread and the tarot gardens very usefull library of Thoth editions I've been able to figure out a little more about each deck.

Here are the decks;
First deck is a large Green Box, this is ole faith-full.
Second deck which is currently on loan to my loving wife is a Large Swiss Blue Box
Third deck, the one I just received today is a White Box C. Now I finally know what people refer to when they say "greenie" :)

So here is my question, that's right I didn't just start this thread to brag about my little collection lol. I am planing on putting one of these decks "under the knife", never imagined I would do such a thing but seeing is believing and after glancing at a few pictures of some recently cut decks I must say, I like the look!

Which one to splice is the dilemma... am leaning towards the green box, which was my first but am just curious to hear from others, your thoughts... opinions... comments are hereby solicited. Thanks in advance!!

Bat Chicken

Green box - Easier to replace if you hate the end result AND large enough to leave you with a nice and useable image when you're done if you like it....

theunseen

What exactly do you mean? Your going to cut up your cards?

Emily

thinbuddha

Bat Chicken said:
Green box - Easier to replace if you hate the end result AND large enough to leave you with a nice and useable image when you're done if you like it....

I agree. Also, the rose cross on the card backs will not get clipped apart in the process.

Alta

theunseen said:
What exactly do you mean? Your going to cut up your cards?

Emily
Edge is planning to cut off the borders and likely the keywords.

Grigori

It MUST be the large green box. The older ones are not aligned in the same way, so the back will be off centre.

Does your large green box have a grey or a green border? I don't know if they are different in measurements. Probably not, but maybe. I used the grey border, in the large green box.

My White Box C would not have worked. The size and proportions are different, and I don't think would have finished as well.

*snip* :D

Edge

similia said:
It MUST be the large green box. The older ones are not aligned in the same way, so the back will be off centre.

Does your large green box have a grey or a green border? I don't know if they are different in measurements. Probably not, but maybe. I used the grey border, in the large green box.

My White Box C would not have worked. The size and proportions are different, and I don't think would have finished as well.

*snip* :D

Well I gotta tell ya I am definitely leaning towards the large green, this will most likely be the one to go under my blade as early as tomorrow. This is going to be fun, MUST take it slow and easy lol. Thanks everyone for the comments. Similia, mine has the grey border. That greenie is very interesting though, I've had it under a magnifying glass all night. A few first impressions; not sure if I care for it much. ( The greenie deck) I mean the art work on both the white box and large green box deck IMO are simply much sharper. Have noticed several imperfections in the greenie, most notably a definite flaw on the "ape of thoth" (Magus card) and tiny red splotch over the eye of the Priestess. (Will post some pics tomorrow on this) Although this deck is pre owned I can't really say these flaws are related to that, the cards look and feel brand new. Regarding my card by card comparison, I had to call it quits for the night at the Hermit.. to tired. Can't wait to pick up with it all in the am though. I'm a bit ashamed to admit until tonight I had never looked at any of the cards under a magnifying glass....WOW I'm already picking up on so much I'd missed till now. All part of the growth process! Trimming a deck is going to be a very positive experience. :)

Abrac

Some of those White Box "C" decks look a lot nicer than others. I would hold off on doing anything with it till you can determine if yours is one of the better ones. From what I have seen, "greenies" come in two varieties - icky and sumtuous. It would be a tragedy if you cut the borders off of a sumtuous greenie. I would go with the large green box. I have one of those myself I am thinking about cutting.