Hierophant & Magician

214red

I keep getting these cards coming up mostly in romantic readings, i havent been able to undertand both cards, so i have been clarifying them...however they keep coming up to clarify each other.

I have been trying to work it out, i noticed the arm movements are similar, and also also the colour red in prominant which seems to link to passion which isnt a word i usually associate with the hierophant...lol

any help appriciated with thsi combo

PAMUYA

I see the Magician as the "I can" "ego" card, you know what you want and you can get it, with the Hierophant I would take that as staying within the boundries of what your community deems as the correct steps in achieving a long lasting romance/relationship. Reminds me of a book called "The Rules"..it is a dating book telling you how to get a husband. Silly as it sounds it follows the rules of the Hieophant. Take the relationship slow, don't give away yourself without a commitment.

my 2 cents

JSNYC

The Magician and Hierophant sound like a cage match to me!!! :laugh:

One is trying to understand, the other not being able to understand that they need to stop trying. One bound by their understanding, and one not taking the time to understand. One knowing what they need to do, the other just trying to do it.

Thirteen

JSNYC said:
The Magician and Hierophant sound like a cage match to me!!! :laugh:
LOL! I think you're right. They're very much oil and water--with the exception that they both like an audience. The Magician wants an audience to show off his tricks to. To enchant, if you like, and inspire. The Hierophant like an audience (his community) that he can preach to, and, at his best, teach, instruct and guide.

In this they differ significantly from the High Priestess and the Hermit who would rather be alone, thank you very much! ;)

starrystarrynight

As clarifiers of one another in a relationship reading, this pair would make me think that the seeker needs to sit up and realize that the other partner is being insincere (to say the least.) Where the first person is [metaphorically--or actually, even] looking at the possibility of marriage (Hierophant), the other is looking only at what's in it for him without real regard for the other person at all--and he'll use whatever means he has at his disposal to get the upper hand in the situation (Magician.)

JSNYC

Thirteen said:
In this they differ significantly from the High Priestess and the Hermit who would rather be alone, thank you very much! ;)
That is an extraordinarily interesting way to look at them, and very insightful too. :lightbulb

Thirteen

JSNYC said:
That is an extraordinarily interesting way to look at them, and very insightful too. :lightbulb
Thanx! [curtsy] We aim to please :D

FaireMaiden

Faith materializes.

Legalized desire.

Sanctioned focus/enterprise.

Ordained path---> walking the talk.

Thirteen

Talking ourselves into things

214red said:
I keep getting these cards coming up mostly in romantic readings
The Hierophant can indicate marriage, but, ultimately, I don't think either one is that good for a romantic reading. Starry makes an excellent point about sincerity or lack-there-of. If they're clarifying each other, I'd venture to say that what they have in common (that need to convince an audience of something) is being emphasized.

I get the feeling that maybe they're trying to convince themselves to get married--or just think about taking the relationship to an engagement level. One of both of them may be thinking this. One or both of them may be talking about it. One or both may be arguing for it. There are two arguments they are using (1) marriage will be "magical," a way of transforming them from couple to something special (Magician) and/or (2) marriage is traditional and allows them to declare their partnership before the community (Hierophant).

Both overlook the fact that they're trying to talk themselves into it rather than feeling that it's right and they want to do it. Does this ring true? Whether or not it does, I'd recommend taking both cards out, laying them side by side, and doing a reading about them. Ask the cards what message they're offering and what you ought to do about it.

nisaba

214red said:
any help appriciated with thsi combo
What everyone else said.

Also, it's worth thinking about what these two archetypes do. One of them is the approval of society and the passing on of society's values. The other is the can-do man, the waking up to the fact that you can achieve anything you want if you are prepared to put your mind to it and use your cleverness.

together, I'd remind a client that they can do a lot more in the situation or relationship than they think they can - they have a lot more personal power than they seem to realise. But also, that it is advisable to use their personal power wisely, and in accordance with commonly-recognised ethics that meet with society's approval.