Traveling AT Member Deck

Ilithiya

oh, it takes me back to my days of penpals and FBs...

I'd like to weigh in with my opinions, if it's all good:

1) Love the idea of a sticky thread for the journal, and then a print-out to go with the deck later.
2) The idea of auctioning it off later (with the printed journal thread) is a fantastic idea - and I'm in favor of the proceeds going to Solandia for sponsored subscriptions.
3) The idea of adding extra deck-sized cards to the deck for signatures rocks! Name, date, and location, perhaps?
4) The name and address of the next reader could be pm'ed to the current holder of the deck when it's time for it to move on; that way, it would minimize the amount of personal data being released.
5) Post in the journal thread when you've sent the deck and who you've sent it to. :)

I do have one question, though: how long should it be kept going? What if someone wants to do it twice (immediately, and then later on a few months down the timeline)?

Illy

gregory

One small thing - I'd stick to a deck on its own, not a kit. Postage charges, you know !!!!

As to a floppy - plain text files (notepad) should carry no viruses....Unless we have an evil member - in which case almost nothing can protect except the recipient running a check BEFORE opening the disc (e.g. at work LOL)

Jeannette

Daizdy said:
If we each sign the back of our favorite card before we send the deck on, we'd be sending a piece of ourselves with it...
I personally like the idea of having each recipient sign a card, but if folks prefer elf's idea of having blank cards included for the signatures, I can do that. Most decks don't come with blank cards anymore, so I'll have to use cards from the "blank card tarot," which may not be the same size as the selected deck. But it's not a problem.

Will everyone express an opinion on how/who will choose the deck? My own opinion is, I feel Jeannette should be the one to choose since she's kindly donating the deck. If you're not in favor of her choosing, then what do you prefer and which deck?
I think others may want a little input, although I'm happy to make a suggestion. I guess I'd stay away from the Marseille-style decks, since although I know many here love unillustrated pips, many others prefer them. And the Marseille crowd seem to do better with illustrated pips than the non-Marseille folks seem to do without them. (No offense intended to anyone's reading skills -- I'm just venturing an observation in hopes of narrowing the list!). And it would be nice if it were possible to pinpoint one that most of the participants don't already have -- although that may be difficult! Some folks have quite the collection, such that even rarer decks wouldn't feel "fresh" to them!

But, after reviewing people's profiles and looking through their collections as listed (save elf and divinerguy -- those with the lists too long to include; I sympathize! And gregory has everything, so she doesn't count -- LOL!), I might suggest the "Tarot of the Ages" deck. No one besides gregory that's posted thus far seemed to have it on their list (although I could have missed it, of course!). It's fully illustrated and multicultural, and attractive without being too "fluffy-pretty." Besides, a multicultural deck seems somewhat fittingly appropriate for a traveling deck. But I think we ought to get a few "hear, hears!" or second opinions before a final decision is made.

I'd like for everyone to have an opportunity to own the deck. I was thinking more on the lines of auctioning it off and donating the proceeds to a charitable cause or to Solandia to sponsor subscriptions for needful non-paying AT members. It's open for discussion though, anyone have ideas that non-paying and paying members can both be involved in?
Sounds like a great idea to me -- but who says the deck will ever stop traveling? ;) I expect as new members join AT and discover this thread (or the journal, if kept online), more folks may "sign up" to participate.

Of course, after a while, it might be fun to "retire" one deck and start another. If it comes to that, Tarot Garden would be happy to donate another deck for a second (and any subsequent) "round."

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Alta

My thoughts;

First, what a wonderful idea, and thank you Jeannette for your generous offer.

I like the idea of each member doing a reading for the person who sent them the deck and posting it in a long thread in Your Readings.

I much prefer to have a journal thread on ATF. Handles so many problems, i.e. postage for a paper journal, probems with a diskette.

I LOVE the idea of blank card for each recipient to sign and date.

I very much wish to be a part of this, it sounds great.
Marion

gregory

Jeannette said:
I personally like the idea of having each recipient sign a card, but if folks prefer elf's idea of having blank cards included for the signatures, I can do that. Most decks don't come with blank cards anymore, so I'll have to use cards from the "blank card tarot," which may not be the same size as the selected deck. But it's not a problem.
You could easily cut some halfway decent card stock to size....

Jeannette said:
And gregory has everything, so she doesn't count -- LOL!), I might suggest the "Tarot of the Ages" deck. No one besides gregory that's posted thus far seemed to have it on their list (although I could have missed it, of course!).
Some do.... Honest ! (15 members, at least - just ran a search !!!)

If gregory had the energy and was even half way sober she might be bothered to be hurt.... Then again, as she doesn't read yet, she wouldn't need to worry anyway :D
(in case you are now getting worried, she isn't hurt anyway; she likes Jeannette too much !!! :* )

Jeannette

gregory said:
You could easily cut some halfway decent card stock to size....
Well, I leave that to others -- with my bad "eye" and ever-rushing "hand," I don't dare!

Some do.... Honest ! (15 members, at least - just ran a search !!!)
Sorry -- I wasn't clear. I was referring to those who had posted to this particular thread, not on AT in general.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Grizabella

Where do we sign up for this? And I think the idea of a multicultural deck is great. So is cutting card stock to size for the people to sign, but I actually liked the idea of them signing the actual deck better. My pick would be the Ancestral Path-----it's kind of small and the art is beautiful as well as it being multicultural. Having the journal in a sticky would be my vote. And if we did decide to have each card signed by someone who circulated it, then that would automatically limit how long it circulated------to 78 people, or 80 if you signed the two extra cards, too. I think Jeanette should sign and date the box to get it going and maybe the last user sign and date the back at the end of the circulaton? Making it a prize for a competition would be good, but not everyone who circulated it would be a subscriber, so that might not work. I guess it could be a competition in the open forums just for those who participated, huh? It actually should probably go in some kind of tarot museum or something, really. LOL

MeeWah

((((((Jeannette)))))) Kudos for the quick generosity in offering to provide a deck & a choice, at that!

Personally have an aversion to signing a card, but perhaps the backs of the cards instead?

Am I correct in understanding the idea is for each participant to sign a different card or one that appeals?

Jewel-ry

Looking at the way this idea is gathering momentum, I am not sure that a deck of 78 cards will be big enough to hold all the signatures ;)

bleuivy

I second (or possibly third or fourth by this point :p) the idea of a multi-cultural deck going all over the world. The World Spirit feels like it might be a good deck for that; it doesn't feel as serene as Tarot for the Ages, but that might just be my take having not ever actually seen the World Spirit.

The Ancestral Path is also a gorgeous idea because it is small, lovely and multi-cultural.

Now the idea of signing a card/not signing a card: is the idea to sign the card we like the best? Or does each person just sign any card until we get to 78? (As having each of us sign our favorite cards would create problems if more than one person liked the same card. It would make some cards feel lonely.) To make it easier, I think it would be better to just sign an extra card, but not quite as fun in my opinion).

Ohhhh, I am getting very excited about this idea! It's making me want to write to all of my penpals again! Hey! Anyone want a tarot pen pal?? :D