What (New, Different) Tarot Book Do You Want?

Annabelle

At this point, it would have to be something new in the area of tarot history and scholarship in order to capture my interest.

Either that, or something akin to the art books that galleries sometimes produce -- something that spotlights a prolific tarot artist's work and gives a bit of their biography.

Shade

Is be up for something that goes all in on Fortune Telling. No wobbly talk about "you may be feeling a strong need..." Just predict.

Mellaenn

My requests are not especially for deeper topics but they reflect what would be immediately useful for me as a teacher of tarot.

I'm with all of the votes for more books with sample readings that are not cut and dried. No matter how many decent tarot masters wrote such books, I'd read each one.

And here is something that my students have been asking for in my tarot classes - detailed explanations of how cards relate to one another in a spread.

Also useful for professional tarot readers would be information on how to handle such situations as the following: clients who are blocked off and cynical, clients who ask tough questions like "Is he going to die?", and how to deal with a long line at the party when the host only paid for an hour of your time.

ana luisa

My requests are not especially for deeper topics but they reflect what would be immediately useful for me as a teacher of tarot.

I'm with all of the votes for more books with sample readings that are not cut and dried. No matter how many decent tarot masters wrote such books, I'd read each one.

And here is something that my students have been asking for in my tarot classes - detailed explanations of how cards relate to one another in a spread.

Also useful for professional tarot readers would be information on how to handle such situations as the following: clients who are blocked off and cynical, clients who ask tough questions like "Is he going to die?", and how to deal with a long line at the party when the host only paid for an hour of your time.

VERY good points!

Theta Choir

Oh, I'd buy *that* book in a heartbeat.

MarkMcElroy

So far, I'm hearing these major themes emerge:

READING PROCESS
- Exercises
- Sample readings, but not contrived ones
- Sample readings with multiple interpretations
- Sample readings that don't go well (and what to do about that)
- Interpretations based on artistic details (color, form, etc.)
- How cards in a spread relate to each other

OTHER SUBJECTS
- Historical or scholarly approach
- Designing your own deck
- Tarot traditions in different regions
- Practical applications to daily life
- Reading with Ettellia decks
- Reader's concerns: long party lines, difficult clients, etc.
- Emphasis on fortune telling / prediction

This is amazing feedback, and I really appreciate it! It helps me prioritize some upcoming projects I'm creating for you.

minotaur

Discuss the core questions that drive so many readings:

My boyfriend/husband left me. Will he come back?

...and the related question...

How do I get my boyfriend/husband back?

...and...

How do I find a decent guy for love/when will I find love?

cSpaceDiva

I agree with a lot what's been said in this thread, particularly the real sample readings. I especially want more commentary on how the cards relate to each other. I don't need more individual cards meanings and keywords, I want more insight on how to tie the whole thing together. I also think it would be nice to present some examples in a conversational tone. How do you actually deliver the news to the sitter and keep them at ease? Most books, understandably, have a more formal written tone. It's not just about knowing what to say, it's about knowing how to say it.

Owl Song

I completely agree about a book with more practical applications of Tarot -- Tarot in our everyday lives. Yes. And a book about readings that were tricky. Also, what about the querent's experience post-reading? How did the cards help? Hinder even? What happened? What was the outcome? If the interpretation wasn't on point, what other insights came into play? Maybe bringing readings out of the "sterile" reading environment and into the day to day world, the idea that a reading doesn't stop at the end of the session. We never seem to get to read or hear about what comes afterwards.

I'd also love an informational book in an everyday, friendly style that gives a well-researched account of the Tarot tradition, particularly in relationship to Rider-Waite and Crowley, how those two major decks are similar, how they are different, and where the influences that shaped them both intersect and disperse. How has Tarot changed over the decades? Where are we now? What kinds of trends are on the horizon?

Good luck with whatever projects you pursue, Mark!!

manandcards

To keep it short I'd like a book that helps you take off the 'training wheels' and give you confidence to 'do wheelies' and other 'bike tricks' without worrying you're going to fall off.