One Deck Wonder Resurrected

Chiriku

Best of luck to all those undertaking ODW (or IDS for that matter). I too sometimes have the impulse to tunnel into one deck and one deck alone, but I have found through trial and error that, paradoxically, I have to leave myself an "out" (such as reserving the right to have a Deck of the Week on the side) if I want to be able to focus on my chosen deck. Removing other options altogether shuts me down on all fronts...confessions of a commitment-phobe.

I am very tempted to join with the International Icon deck which I used last week and haven't yet put away although I am supposed to be using just the Aquarian Tarot for this week's Deck of the Week....

I might just study the II alongside my decks of the week. As the 'unofficial, unappointed' facilitator of DotW I would feel a little disloyal leaving the group...and I still have many decks in my collection that need to be cycled through.

Ah, the dilemma.....

Elendil, you may remember that in 2011-2012 I did an Intensive Deck Study while continuing with Deck of the Week. I earmarked the IDS deck for deeper study, reading of affiliated literature, etc. and used the Decks of the Week for less structured things like off-the-cuff draws or daily readings.

Although, perhaps that worked better with IDS because IDS was, as noted elsewhere in this thread, more of an academic undertaking for many of us, so it complemented an unstructured Deck of the Week. There seems to be a different theme to the One Deck Wonder.

If you genuinely feel an urge to stick to one deck, don't give a thought to the DOW facilitation. The other members can alternate thread-creating responsibilities.

WolfyJames

After making a search here on the Truth-Seeker Tarot, I've discovered David Fontana has written a book on tarot, and where he apparently talks more in depth about the deck in question and its designs, so I ordered it. I'm looking forward to get it.

Carla

After making a search here on the Truth-Seeker Tarot, I've discovered David Fontana has written a book on tarot, and where he apparently talks more in depth about the deck in question and its designs, so I ordered it. I'm looking forward to get it.

Oh, if you find out anything about the curious pip backgrounds, please do share! I've been so curious as to what they might mean, because I can find no sensible reason to why certain cards in each suit share the same background. There seems to be no pattern, rhyme or reason to it, that I can figure out. (Nor Gregory. We've talked about it in a thread).

velvetina

mmm, I do kind of like this idea, but cannot decide between my Bohemian Gothic and my Greenwood :/

It is a dark & stormy night, so I am inclined towards the former.

I Promise:
* to read the Gothic Literature associated with the deck
*watch the appropriate cinematographs
* visit crypts, catherdals, ruined castles and so forth
* only read the cards after dark, by candlelight
* keep a journal (ideally one that is hidden) reflecting upon my encounters with the BG
*maybe begin a blog?

My provisos:
* if asked to read for Another (& being paid) I might choose the Waite-Smith, Thoth or Madonni
* can refer to Companion Book, for source material ideas.

Bit nervous actually!!!

Fingers crossed, this will be for a year and a day. The biggest threat will be the lure of the Mary-El :(

Miss Divine

Yikes! I completely forgot about The Vampire Diaries, I also watch and love this show.

While I don't use pip decks I do collect tarot decks and oracles, and there are a few pips decks in my collection. I've decided to use the Truth-Seeker Tarot after all for the One Deck Wonder, to go along with my Tarot of Vampyres. I thought when I bought the Truth-Seeker Tarot, seeing how beautiful the deck is, that if ever one day I'd use a pip deck it'd be that one.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/truth-seekers/

You cannot see on the scans the gilding the cards have on each of them.

Hmm, I've seen the Truth Seeker's around but never gave it a good look. I had a very exhausting day at work today so I will check those cards out later. My brain just feels like mush right now. ;)

Kosjitov

Hi, I am Kosjitov and I have a 14 deck collection. Some of them have been more loved than others, including the Shapeshifter deck.

For my One Deck Wonder I promise...

* To read exclusively with the Shapeshifter Tarot
* I will use it from Imbolic til Beltane 2013
* The only booklet I may reference is the companion that accompanied it.
* To seek out encouragement when I need it, and encourage others as well.
* To record any and all readings here on AT with my chosen deck, for future analysis.
* I will keep it with me at all times.

I will NOT...

* Reference the Tarot Bible during this task period.
* Grab for any other tarot deck in a panic.
* Take out any other tarot decks, except to sew them pouches or loan them out to others/find them good homes
* Purchase any other tarot decks

To my fellow ODWs... Good luck.

kalliope

I'm surprising myself here, but I'm in! I've almost bought the International Icon Tarot several times over the last year or so, and I finally went through with it today. I'm curious to see how my reading skills develop after spending time using only the stripped-down imagery.

My rules:
  • I will use the IIT as my only tarot deck at least until May 15. (I'm a deck-hopper commitment-phobe, so I'll reassess after approximately three months.)
  • I reserve the right to pull out the Playing Card Oracles, but not more than once a month.
  • I can read about color and number symbolism and use a symbol dictionary, but no tarot books. I'm allowed to look at the LWB that comes with the deck, but will not rely on it.
  • I'm still allowed to play with other forms of divination like geomancy and astrology!
  • I can't promise daily draws (I'm terrible at doing them consistently, which is why the DOW never did much for me. But I will do at least three readings a week (including 3-card dailies), and will aim for more.
  • I will record all of my readings in a notebook or electronic journal, and will post as many as I can to the group. I may even dust off my blog, ha!
  • After May 15:
    • I may allow myself to use the Darkana once a week. It's my current favorite, and I almost decided to use it as my ODW... (Maybe I can start my own group: Two-Deck Reflect :laugh: )
    • I may allow limited use of oracle decks for prediction-oriented readings (Sibillas, Lenormands, or playing cards). I'll see how I'm feeling about things then.

Aurarcana, I'm not the most consistent discussion partner, but I'm definitely up for chatting about the deck in the Back-to-Basics thread!

strings of life

I'm surprising myself here, but I'm in! I've almost bought the International Icon Tarot several times over the last year or so, and I finally went through with it today. I'm curious to see how my reading skills develop after spending time using only the stripped-down imagery.

My rules:
  • I will use the IIT as my only tarot deck at least until May 15. (I'm a deck-hopper commitment-phobe, so I'll reassess after approximately three months.)
  • I reserve the right to pull out the Playing Card Oracles, but not more than once a month.
  • I can read about color and number symbolism and use a symbol dictionary, but no tarot books. I'm allowed to look at the LWB that comes with the deck, but will not rely on it.
  • I'm still allowed to play with other forms of divination like geomancy and astrology!
  • I can't promise daily draws (I'm terrible at doing them consistently, which is why the DOW never did much for me. But I will do at least three readings a week (including 3-card dailies), and will aim for more.
  • I will record all of my readings in a notebook or electronic journal, and will post as many as I can to the group. I may even dust off my blog, ha!
  • After May 15:
    • I may allow myself to use the Darkana once a week. It's my current favorite, and I almost decided to use it as my ODW... (Maybe I can start my own group: Two-Deck Reflect :laugh: )
    • I may allow limited use of oracle decks for prediction-oriented readings (Sibillas, Lenormands, or playing cards). I'll see how I'm feeling about things then.

Aurarcana, I'm not the most consistent discussion partner, but I'm definitely up for chatting about the deck in the Back-to-Basics thread!
Hooray, I have a partner!

Crazy changes at work on Monday that are lingering into the day today, but I'll respond more in depth to your post tonight when I am at home relaxing :).

strings of life

I am very tempted to join with the International Icon deck which I used last week and haven't yet put away although I am supposed to be using just the Aquarian Tarot for this week's Deck of the Week....

I might just study the II alongside my decks of the week. As the 'unofficial, unappointed' facilitator of DotW I would feel a little disloyal leaving the group...and I still have many decks in my collection that need to be cycled through.

Ah, the dilemma.....
Elendil, I'm interested in seeing if you decide to use the II for the One Deck Wonder. kalliope and I will be using it together and will be posting in the Study our findings and observations in the Study Group in addition to this thread which will serve as a place for support and general rants.

Best of luck to all those undertaking ODW (or IDS for that matter). I too sometimes have the impulse to tunnel into one deck and one deck alone, but I have found through trial and error that, paradoxically, I have to leave myself an "out" (such as reserving the right to have a Deck of the Week on the side) if I want to be able to focus on my chosen deck. Removing other options altogether shuts me down on all fronts...confessions of a commitment-phobe.
I work in an online department and like most people I know, live in a fast-paced environment. I tweet, I use Tumblr, I read books on print as well as on an eReader, and am constantly multitasking.

I used the term earlier, but I am a compulsive deck flip flopper and change decks weekly. That isn't a bad thing for many people and keeps things interesting, but I realized that no where along my Tarot journey did I sit and use one deck for a long period of time. By long, I mean more than a month. Oh, who am I kidding, more than 2 weeks. And after reading the One Deck Wonder and IDS threads I came to the conclusion that I wanted to stick with one deck for a full year, and that I would introduce a TdM after that so that I would know both decks, their imagery making a permanent stamp in my mind.

What's 6 moths or a year in the grand scheme of things? Nothing! Really, that's not a huge commitment...but it is when compared to everything else that our lives are structured around. I am being structured without doing so at the same time. I'm dedicated to using one deck for a long period of time, but I am being relaxed about my rules as to how I am going to use it. Because I want to do just that, use my deck, connect with it, bond with it, and know it's characters.

Elendil, you may remember that in 2011-2012 I did an Intensive Deck Study while continuing with Deck of the Week. I earmarked the IDS deck for deeper study, reading of affiliated literature, etc. and used the Decks of the Week for less structured things like off-the-cuff draws or daily readings.

Although, perhaps that worked better with IDS because IDS was, as noted elsewhere in this thread, more of an academic undertaking for many of us, so it complemented an unstructured Deck of the Week. There seems to be a different theme to the One Deck Wonder.
In many ways, based on the posts in this thread, ithis One Deck Wonder group is a hybrid of both the original One Deck Wonder and IDS. A make it your own "study", which may not even be that and will involve just becoming confident with reading.

hopena

I've been reading these threads since right around the time I came here, I think. I'm not sure which deck I would use if I did try this out: I have a deck I've now forgotten the name of - how did I manage that?? It's a well-known one, I think. Self-published. Oh, the Alchemical Tarot, and its companion book.

I have other decks, too, starting with my Druidcraft. I might try it for a few weeks to start off with, or maybe up to my birthday. I virtually stopped using my decks