Albano-Waite cardstock hue variation

gregory

Well, we already know that mine is a different printing (I have the one with instructions and you don't !) and my backs are totally uniform.

Abrac

Those raised spots on the edges of the cards are normal for the vintage versions; they all have them, at least the ones I've seen.

Yelell

I have a hoi polloi deck that's like that because it was made from a combination of cards from 2 partial decks.

Terrapin

Greetings!

I have just acquired a '68 Tarot Productions Albano Waite (New Color Deluxe) (absolutely adore it already!) and I immediately noticed a variation in the tone of the cream on the card reverse. Some are white and others are quite a creamy off-white.

Once ordered I could see that the major arcana and all of the wands along with the knight, queen and king of cups were all white; ace to page of cups and all of the swords and pentacles are off-white...

It's bizarre. They don't seem stained. I assume they must've been cut from a different sheet of card? Also the notches on the sides of the deck are on every side (rather than just two - as with my University Books RWS deck).

Is this a common occurrence?
http://www.tarotforum.net/images/icons/icon7.gif
I've attached pictures of the cards and the box.

Best

Yes my copy of the '68 Tarot Production Albano has the same variance in the backs' shading. Some are more cream than white. It also has the little perf tags too. I think that quality assurance wasn't as high a priority for some publishers of tarot decks back then. (The University Books RWS from the 60s is even worse in its assorted dalliances.) It's OK for me though. This '68 version is among my favorite decks of all time. It seems to be coming down in price on eBay as well.

decan

It's inconvenient here with a white back.
Can you return the deck to the seller and have a refund?

gregory

Those raised spots on the edges of the cards are normal for the vintage versions; they all have them, at least the ones I've seen.
Indeed - so does mine.

Richard

I have the original Tarot Productions deck, but I prefer some of the more recent reprints, for the cardstock as well as the printing. I wish USG would do a new edition of the Albano with the same care that they took with the Smith-Waite Centennial.