Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Majors

Scion

Aeon418 said:
The name (symbol) is not the thing named.
Aeon, one of these days I owe you about a hundred drinks and a copy of 777 bound in goatskin. That was such a great contextual sentence relating those two Atus. A symbol of the anti-symbolic. Smack!

nicky

Aeon418 said:
Ah! But the Fool doesn't merely have the symbols. He's actually got the elements.

A flaming pine cone. Water pouring from a cup. He's floating on air. And has a very earthy bunch of grapes. But what has the Magus got? Nothing more than symbols of these things. He's not called the Lord of Illusion for nothing.

The name (symbol) is not the thing named.

true dat... but I think the Fool being the whole down from Kether would include the symbols to represent the concept, and I do see the sword in the caduceus...nice and curvy too like the old decks.

If the deck is alleged to hold all the information or keys then one would postulate they would be shown.. perhaps not deciphered but still there to stand for the truth ...

or not LOL

I see all four and of course much much more :)

Nicky

All Is One

I'm returning to the Thoth now, as my imaginary friend always always always tells me to do. So I thought I should leave spoor on this thread, as it is very helpful so far in driving me back to the Thoth to follow along.

My Thoth is feeling quite full of itself in its new purple silk wrapping, and 'm ready to go dancing with the 800 pound gorilla, once again.

I once was shallow (for a bit of a break) but now I am saved....

Le Fanu

All Is One said:
I'm returning to the Thoth now, as my imaginary friend always always always tells me to do. So I thought I should leave spoor on this thread, as it is very helpful so far in driving me back to the Thoth to follow along.

My Thoth is feeling quite full of itself in its new purple silk wrapping, and 'm ready to go dancing with the 800 pound gorilla, once again.

I once was shallow (for a bit of a break) but now I am saved....

O please join in! (not returning to the Thoth as a means of purging yourself of the "Yoga Tarot" are you? }).

Im loving this current Thoth surge! Im re-reading DuQuette alongside really, really looking at the images. Much more, and more intensely than Ive ever looked before. For the first time, I don´t feel a need to get out my other decks.

And Im surprised that, during my first reading of DuQuette, I got in a flap about not understanding it, but it is odd how much I have actually absorbed. I see this now! Only on the 2nd reading!

All Is One

Le Fanu said:
O please join in! (not returning to the Thoth as a means of purging yourself of the "Yoga Tarot" are you? }).

Im loving this current Thoth surge! Im re-reading DuQuette alongside really, really looking at the images. Much more, and more intensely than Ive ever looked before. For the first time, I don´t feel a need to get out my other decks.

And Im surprised that, during my first reading of DuQuette, I got in a flap about not understanding it, but it is odd how much I have actually absorbed. I see this now! Only on the 2nd reading!

That is inspiring, Le Fanu. I may have to get the DuQuette. Sounds good to me.

The "Yoga Tarot" was a silly purchase indeed. I'm sure to be embarassed by it as I already am. It was the colors! It was the poses! But the name alone is rather......off-putting.

I hereby do solemnly swear to detox from my other decks and regain the love affair between me and the Thoth.

Even though it's true what they all say: The Thoth is, indeed a harsh Mistress.

(Or a harsh 800 pound gorilla.....call it what you will.)

:)

Grigori

Le Fanu said:
Something which bemuses me (and not connected to the flower); the Fool appears to be holding an upturned Cup, and in the other hand, flames/fire. In the background, there is a bag of discs...

Am I blind, but I cannot see a sword. I was presuming that all the suit symbols are represented...

I've also thought of these as Chokhmah and Binah, the Yod/Fire/Knight on the right and the Heh/Water/Queen on the left. Kether on the top of his head, and the three veils swirling around the place.

Abrac

I'm not so sure the little flowers on the lower left have much significance other than an artistic choice by Harris.

A symbol is a likeness; they rarely (if ever) match exactly the thing they symbolize. They are intended to trigger in the mind of those who understand the language a thought or idea.

The three flowers in one is not an exact replica of female reproductive organs any more than the sun on the Fool's crotch is a penis, but it is a symbol that is intended to create the idea of the female.

Abrac

After thinking about it some more, it seems clear that the "benediction" Crowley is talking about is a blessing being given to the children by the flowers. But I can also see another meaning, that is, the flowers seeking a blessing from the Sun, but that is just my interpretation.

nicky

Magus again here... winged egg (or breakfast on the run you choose) .. I have seen references to Orphic Eggs, but those are traditionally known to have serpents around them.. I would take it as new life... the idea of eggs being fertility and birth type concepts etc... which would perhaps relate to a magician in that he manifests with his tools but then again maybe not.
Anyone?

cardlady22

nicky said:
winged egg . . . Anyone?

In alchemy, the egg is the "hermetically sealed vessel of creation" ~ sorry, but it's weird to me that I was just looking at a kit called Alchemy Stones. They were set up as an egg-shape to represent the inside of the vessel being used to mix/produce.

Is it still needing to be sealed, or is truly time to open it up?

Wings are hard to pin down- literally. If we're talking about something hatching or emerging, I am reminded of a scene told by Delle Fowler to illustrate the Jack of Diamonds. (letting the butterfly struggle to emerge)

Are you truly controlling your magick/creation or are you about to get a big surprise?