Etruscan tarot: The Hermit IX

poopsie

Description in booklet: "I Seek Skill. A musician walks by himself trying to find a tune."

The card depicts a middle-aged man, long-haired and with a small beard, walking barefoot towards the east. He plays a musical instrument, eyes straightforward, similar to the eyes of musicians I have observed in the conservatory of music years ago, mastering an instrument. There is a tall thin plant behind him and a shorter one in front of him. He wears a red half-kneed robe with a tunic.

The hermit plays on an ancient flute known as auleta or aulos.

www.mysteriousetruscans. com described this instrument as "The Aulos or double flute, which could almost be called the Etruscan national instrument had two divergent flute-pieces attached to a double mouthpiece, often fixed to the lips of the player by means of a Capistrum, or a strap around the head. The virtuosity of Etruscan flautists was almost legendary among the Greeks and Romans. Timaeus, writing in the fourth century BCE, gives us an account of how the Etruscans made practical use of the entrancing and melodious graces of the Etruscan flute to lure wild boars out of the wilds only to be caught by waiting huntsmen."

Etruscans were known for music, religion, banquets, festivities and celebration.

If we put these all in context of our Hermit, the card may symbolize a number of the following possible meanings:

a) walking through life is life learning from our past (as represented by the Hermit walking towards to the east) and finding one's way forward, perhaps, in search of a new path, or continuing the current journey with a sense of wisdom and insight

b) The tall plant behind him may indicate the richness of experience gained through the years, which has now grown -- mature, wisdom-filled, more refined and still continuously expands as the hermit moves on ... the shorter plant in front of him may indicate a starting point - not a totally clean fresh start but at least, facing a new life perhaps with a more renewed perspective

If we draw the Hermit in our readings, I would most likely look at this as signs for me to reflect on:

what have I learned through life? What did my past experiences contribute in terms of wisdom, lessons learned?

What type of future do I need to search for? How will I move on armed with past memories and perspectives and yet, remain "light", looking for a path with a renewed feeling? Or should I just flow and coast along life, fluid, finding myself in the process and let life unfold itself before?

Perhaps, I realize but I am not yet that confident about this particular insight -- the Etruscan Hermit is not about making choices. Rather, it is about looking at past learnings and continuously engage in the pursuit of new beginnings trusting one's intuition, that things will be all right.

annik

My first reaction: the piper from Hamelin. The Hermit seems to be happy to play. It makes me also think of music therapy.