MerryDay Tarot Study Group

thorhammer

Rick got back to me about the book - the postage is exorbitant and he's trying to get me to buy another deck too :laugh: but I think it's probably out of the question at the moment. But I'll have the book before long, till then I'll just muddle through . . . I might start a few card-by-card threads soon, but please, anyone who feels like they want to get started, go for it! I can't wait to share some thoughts about such a beautiful deck!

\m/ Kat

Mimers

I am so excited everyone is getting the book! I have been thinking of taking some of her guided meditations and recording them with some background music. I could share it with the group.

I think if we do get the books we will have to decide how we want to approach the study group. The reason being her numerology teachings are a course unto themselves.

This is going to be awesome!

thorhammer

You make a good point, Mimers. There is also the fact that there are distinct "groups" of cards in this deck that need (I think) to be compared and contrasted - particularly the courts and Aces, but I also think each Suit should be taken and discussed as a separate entity. Also cards that use the same symbols should be laid side-by-side and discussed.

I say all this, because in my head there is a vast future of dancing pixies and endless balmy days wherein I can dreamily contemplate the beauty of this deck . . . reality will set in. :rolleyes:

\m/ Kat

Mimers

I agree with you that we should look at the different suits together. Perhaps we can start off the journey of a suit by everyone making up their own suit story. Doesn't have to be long at all. Just a short little story using the cards in that suit. Then we can take them one at a time.

Would also be interesting to look at all the numbers of the different suits together.

There really are endless ways to study this deck.

So, what do you think? Shall we start with the suits?

On a sidenote. I have always had a little trouble with the aces and the courts from this deck. I can't wait to hear from others about their take on these cards.

thorhammer

Yes, I think starting a suit story thread - one per suit? - would be a good place to start. I might work on the Pentacles today . . . see how I go.

The aces boggle me a bit, but I do like the Courts a lot in this deck. The Elementals are a bit disconcerting but I'm getting used to it. The Kings are wonderful - that Winter King is just gorgeous.

And comparing the different numbers is a great idea - but one I won't be indulging in until I get the book, I'm afraid. :( Rick tells me he won't get my one posted till Monday, so add Gods know how long onto that for postage over to Australia (it's so erratic!) and I could be well out of the race! :)

\m/ Kat

Mimers

Ok then let's start with a suit story on the Pentacles. Let's give ourselves a week give or take because of the holiday and we will take it from there. First one done pms Sulis and starts the first thread.

Sound good everyone? Those who don't have their deck yet can use her web site to view the cards.

:D

silverwings94

Mimers,
Sounds good to me. Mine is being shipped out Monday so I don't know how long it will get here. But I will go to her site and start working.

Mimers said:
Ok then let's start with a suit story on the Pentacles. Let's give ourselves a week give or take because of the holiday and we will take it from there. First one done pms Sulis and starts the first thread.

Sound good everyone? Those who don't have their deck yet can use her web site to view the cards.

:D

Sulis

It's good to see you're getting this group up and running. The Merryday is a wonderful deck and is well worth studying, there is so much in those images :)

I'll be starting up an index thread a little later so I'd be very grateful if you could let me know by PM when a new thread is started in this group so that I don't miss any for the index.

Thanks,

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups Moderator

silverwings94

I just got my deck and book today. I haven't had a chance yet to check it out but I will later tonight when its quiet.