"Original" RWS jade green

Parzival

Is the color scheme of the "original" RWS with its soft jade-green or celadon esoterically intended or a printer's arbitrary preference ? It seems that there is an interesting balancing of gold, white, and soft jade-green or celadon on some cards, such as the Ace of Cups and High Priestess and Temperance and Star --The Star has a great eight-pointed golden star in seven little white eight-pointed stars in a celadon (?) sky. A celadon pool rests below, rippled in concentric circles by the maiden's poured-out celadon water. This coloration is definitely different than the strong cool blue of the usual US Games printing. I don't think it's just a subjective reaction : the color variation affects the whole mood of the image of The Star.

flicker

I cant say that I know the answer either but I do have The Rider Waite 1993 edition and the Universal Waite deck. I use the Universal as a standby but I was surprised at the Jade green of the 93' deck. I am unsure of the date you are refering to for the original deck and if it is infact the same deck as my 93' one. I simply love the green colouring of the deck it's exquisite in every inch of it. the back of the deck has the tudor rose and turquoise background. I used it not so long ago id always wanted the deck and dreams would plague me over the years about the Rider Deck. I had avoided it as I moved onto clones or bizzarer decks collages Revelations which I tired of eventually and thought there was something too special about ithe Rider to ignore it and through a friend listening to my tiresome words about the deck they bought it for me and presented it to me as wonderful gift to use the deck and so it is used only for personal readings or a special occasion.
http://www.astroamerica.com/tarot/t-riderorigin.jpg

Parzival

"Original " RWS jade green

Yours seems to be the same as an "Original", since the back design is the same -- lilies and roses. It may be that there was some variation with the 1909-1910 original printings, some with more blue backgrounds, some with the jade green or celadon. If you take the "Original" Star and the typical US Games Star, and put them side by side, -- the jade green or celadon sky with Star beside the cool flat blue sky with Star, -- you really feel the tonal difference. It's difficult to put into words -- but the Images are two different universes of color-tone. One is more mystical, the other more mysterious.

Abrac

I don't know if the different color schemes were intentional. I haven't read or heard anything about that but that doesn't mean the information isn't out there. I do agree that the feel of the Original is quite different from the standard one. I'm glad to hear there are others who appreciate the differences. :)

flicker

I just sat with the Universal waite star card and the 93 star card. I have to say the universal copy is my standby so I dont damage the other deck but myself and my friend both said there is no comparison really to the older decks. The images are so different and the colours faded. I will try not to knock the deck too far as it serves it purpose and makes the deck something that can be purchased and used universally because of its fun layout. I say fun in the terms it doesnt seem as mystical to me and more of a deck that isnt as gritty as i like which is the reason I kept avoiding the RWS.
The only thing is I want to see 'The Emperor card's' background in green as well and 'The High Priestess' as well. as the image i have has a redish/orange background.

stella01904

I have an "Original" RWS with the muted greens, I actually prefer it to "regular" RWS, but alas, it isn't original.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=36031

It looks to me like a cost-cutting move. The lines look like the plates were getting worn, too. But it turned out better than the real original - one of those happy accidents, I guess.

Parzival

"Original " RWS jade green

Yes, the "Original" may not be so original, which is why in my original (no pun intended) title and post, it's in quotation marks. It's sometimes referred to as a "Pamela-C," a reprint in the 1920s of the 1909 "Pamela-A." But I'm no expert on that, and I only wonder what Waite and Smith intended as the colors for printing in 1909 and maybe in the 1920s too. I don't think the colors of the typical US Games version are so close to the "Pamela A." Certainly the plaid-linear back design of later printings is not at all "original," while the lilies and roses of the "Original" may be one of the earliest intended back designs. Be that all as it historically may be or is, it's interesting how the color variations profoundly affect tone, as with the Star image in celadon or blue. I've read intense opinions about this ! There are color tastes and musical tastes that are both intensely esoteric and intensely personal.

flicker

thank you for letting me seeing the previous thread. I have more to read. I am still searching the variations and will reply if i find anything more on the decks. A funny thing happened as I was reaidng the thread I heard in my mind "does it really matter what the colours mean as long as you enjoy using them.who cares." all good and well but still nice to know. thus my quest continues.

stella01904

Frank Hall said:
But I'm no expert on that, and I only wonder what Waite and Smith intended as the colors for printing in 1909 and maybe in the 1920s too.
I remember seeing a quote from her someplace, she was leery of how the printing process would affect the colors of her original paintings. None of which any living person has seen, that I know of.....

Kingfish

I prefer the "original" to the other Rider-Waite decks. To me, the muted colors speak more of the elements and speak more to me personally. I also think that the colors are closer to what the aesthetic may have been at the time they were created.