Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The Best Thoth Deck

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot


 
Richard's Avatar
Richard  Richard is offline
Le Mat
 
Join Date: 21 Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,587
Richard 
Le Mat

Richard's Avatar

My pocket edition was printed in China. It is a very good printing, but the images are too intricately detailed for the pocket size to do them justice. I gave it away. The standard deck is okay, but I much prefer the large green box deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #31
Aeon418's Avatar
Aeon418  Aeon418 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,342
Aeon418 
Citizen

Aeon418's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
My pocket edition was printed in China.
Did the Chinese version come with same misprint that appears in the AGM version. I've had three different copies of the pocket size deck and they all had the same strange double image on the 8 of Swords.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #32
Richard's Avatar
Richard  Richard is offline
Le Mat
 
Join Date: 21 Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6,587
Richard 
Le Mat

Richard's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
Did the Chinese version come with same misprint that appears in the AGM version. I've had three different copies of the pocket size deck and they all had the same strange double image on the 8 of Swords.
If it did, I didn't notice it.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #33
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

After reading with the large Thoth deck for several decades, I don't need to see the intricate details to use a pocket-size deck. It becomes more a matter of simple recognition than analysis of the images. I need a small deck to take to group meetings because table-top space can be limited, and this one should do fine. For home use I go with the mid-size deck for ease of shuffling and hardly ever take my large Thoths out of their boxes now.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #34
EmpyreanKnight's Avatar
EmpyreanKnight  EmpyreanKnight is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,853
EmpyreanKnight 
Citizen

EmpyreanKnight's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
At a meeting on Saturday, I saw a pocket-size Thoth with the AGM imprint on the cards. The images were extremely clear and crisp for such a small deck. The owner no longer has the box, so she had no information. Sounds like it's no longer printed by AGM.
My Pocket Thoth was included in The Complete Tarot Kit by US Games, which also had the Pocket RWS. I bought the set in 2015. The Pocket Thoth came in a uniquely designed box that didn't state where it was printed:

http://imgur.com/yug7lHL

My copy is sealed because I don't plan to use it yet. On the back however, on the lower right corner, there is a "c 1996 AGMuller" stamp, as you can see here:

http://imgur.com/4elfd31

Does this mean that my Pocket Thoth was printed by A G Muller? I'm not very familiar with the various Thoth editions.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #35
Barleywine's Avatar
Barleywine  Barleywine is offline
Elder Jabberwock
 
Join Date: 10 Jun 2011
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 9,055
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpyreanKnight View Post
My Pocket Thoth was included in The Complete Tarot Kit by US Games, which also had the Pocket RWS. I bought the set in 2015. The Pocket Thoth came in a uniquely designed box that didn't state where it was printed:

http://imgur.com/yug7lHL

My copy is sealed because I don't plan to use it yet. On the back however, on the lower right corner, there is a "c 1996 AGMuller" stamp, as you can see here:

http://imgur.com/4elfd31

Does this mean that my Pocket Thoth was printed by A G Muller? I'm not very familiar with the various Thoth editions.
That AG Muller imprint is identical to the one I saw on the deck last Saturday. I believe that the one printed in China would have a US Games copyright on it.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #36
EmpyreanKnight's Avatar
EmpyreanKnight  EmpyreanKnight is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 1,853
EmpyreanKnight 
Citizen

EmpyreanKnight's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
That AG Muller imprint is identical to the one I saw on the deck last Saturday. I believe that the one printed in China would have a US Games copyright on it.
That's good to know. Thanks, Barleywine!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #37
Madrigal's Avatar
Madrigal  Madrigal is offline
~ borderless ~
 
Join Date: 28 Apr 2014
Location: zentangling
Posts: 1,784
Madrigal 
~ borderless ~

Madrigal's Avatar

I have the med. sized version but I'd like to have a trimmed version. Would the large cards be best for that? Trying to get a feel for size post-trim. Would they then be standard-sized Tarot cards? It feels like the med. sized cards would result in a much smaller deck.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #38
devilkitty's Avatar
devilkitty  devilkitty is offline
Fanged Terror
 
Join Date: 20 Jun 2013
Location: Over the hill, not a wish away...
Posts: 199
devilkitty 
Fanged Terror

devilkitty's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
I have the med. sized version but I'd like to have a trimmed version. Would the large cards be best for that? Trying to get a feel for size post-trim. Would they then be standard-sized Tarot cards? It feels like the med. sized cards would result in a much smaller deck.
Yes, the large is the one you want to trim. Works out close to a "regular" size, and the cards certainly take on more life for me - like they're reaching to you, rather than you looking through a window at them.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #39
Madrigal's Avatar
Madrigal  Madrigal is offline
~ borderless ~
 
Join Date: 28 Apr 2014
Location: zentangling
Posts: 1,784
Madrigal 
~ borderless ~

Madrigal's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilkitty View Post
Yes, the large is the one you want to trim. Works out close to a "regular" size, and the cards certainly take on more life for me - like they're reaching to you, rather than you looking through a window at them.
Thank you! Looking forward to the results
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #40
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.