Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Books Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your Tarot cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot lovers, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post your thoughts, share readings, search, save threads, view extra boards and more.

post a reply

Aeon418 
Citizen

New Thoth book

The Thoth Tarot, Astrology, & Other Selected Writings by Phyllis Sekler (Soror Meral) has recently been released in a paperback edition. (ISBN 0997668601)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thoth-Tarot...rds=0997668601

Quote:
Phyllis Seckler (1917-2004) was introduced to the teachings of Aleister Crowley in the late 1930s and became a regular participant in the activities of Agape Lodge of the Ordo Templi Orientis in California, and rose to become a Ninth Degree member of the "Sovereign Sanctuary of the Gnosis." She was admitted to the A.'. A.'. under the tutelage of Jane Wolfe, eventually taking the now well-known magical name Soror Meral and was later confirmed as an Adeptus Minor by Crowley's successor, Karl Germer.
Seckler was a key figure in the reinauguration of the O.T.O. in 1969, and a few years later she founded the College of Thelema, with the intention that it would provide important background training and education for aspirants to the A.'. A.'. Seckler played a crucial role in the history of Thelema, not only through her efforts to explore and revive Crowley's creed, but also by training a new generation of its students.

The Thoth Tarot, Astrology & Other Selected Writings, is edited by three of Phyllis Seckler's former students: David Shoemaker, Gregory Peters, and Rorac Johnson. It includes a biographical sketch of Phyllis Seckler drawn from her own autobiographical writings, and two of her most important essays: "The Tarot Trumps of Thoth and Psychology" - a detailed analysis of the psychological and magical symbolism of the Trumps of the Thoth deck - and "Thoth Tarot and Astrology," a significant study of astrology and the natal chart, with special reference to the cards of the Thoth deck. Both of these essays were previously serialized in Seckler's journal In the Continuum, but they are here presented for the first time in book form, accompanied by redrawn and corrected diagrams. In addition to the essays the book also contains a selection of important correspondence between Seckler, Aleister Crowley, Karl Germer and Jane Wolfe. These are followed by a transcript of the last major interview conducted with Phyllis Seckler, in which she recounted the details of her introduction to Thelema and involvement with the old Agape Lodge, her subsequent participation in various Thelemic organizations, and her thoughts on developments within the Thelemic world.

Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #1
Spiffo 
Accidental Warlock

Thank you for the heads up. I was a wee bit excited about the forthcoming hardcover Book of Thoth and the revised DuQuette, but this marvel is very welcome in an affordable paperback. I've only got a few bits and pieces from it as old photocopies.

"We love those who lead us to a place we could not reach without them." N Mailer
Spiffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #2
Zephyros 
Jedi

Phyllis Sekler was a legend even during her lifetime, this should be a fascinating book!

Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #3
Hedera 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffo View Post
the forthcoming hardcover Book of Thoth
*pricks up ears*
Where could that be found, please?
Hedera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #4
Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedera View Post
*pricks up ears*
Where could that be found, please?
See my thread on the subject.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Barleywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #5
Hedera 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
See my thread on the subject.
Yup, found it just after I posted this.

Thank you!
Hedera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #6
Aeon418 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Phyllis Sekler was a legend even during her lifetime, this should be a fascinating book!
Hopefully the second volume of Phyllis' writings, "The Kabbalah, Magick, and Thelema", will get the paperback treatment in the near future.

Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #7
EmpyreanKnight 
Citizen

When I was doing my research on the best books on the Thoth, I have encountered references to this Seckler book marvelling at how good it was but at the same time ruing how expensive it was. This edition would be a godsend and all the reviews make it sound muy delicioso. Yup, adding this one to my list, thanks for awaring me OP.

Old 1 Week Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #8
Aeon418 
Citizen

A minor quibble

I've just finished reading the chapter on the Star and noticed that Seckler has switched the traditional Intelligences of the 15th and 28th paths. Those are the paths of the Star and the Emperor.

The 15th path is traditionally assigned to the Constituting Intelligence. While the 28th path is usually called the Natural Intelligence. In my opinion the Intelligences correspond to the Hebrew letters and therefore don't move with the cards. Seckler's successor in T.O.T., Jim Eshelman, seems to agree and has retained the traditional order.

But it just goes to show how malleable and fluid the correspondences of these two paths can be, and how interpretations can easily be reframed on compatible paths such as Heh and Tzaddi.

Old 6 Days Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #9
Zephyros 
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418 View Post
But it just goes to show how malleable and fluid the correspondences of these two paths can be, and how interpretations can easily be reframed on compatible paths such as Heh and Tzaddi.
I agree, I ultimately tend to treat them both as being simultaneously in both places in some way. It works especially well if we assume the double loop to be a Moebius.

Old 5 Days Ago Need answers now? Get 50% off your first live Tarot session!     Top   #10
  post a reply

Latest Threads in Tarot Decks

Latest Threads in Talking Tarot

Latest Threads in Using Tarot Cards

Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade your account to subscriber today