Tarot of the Demons

demontarot

Hi peeps, I'm new to this site, am a writer, but want to do a little market research before plunging into making my own deck. Would anyone be interested in a deck of the above name? It will have modern fantasy full colour artwork, with mainly classic Rider Waite type meanings. The deck name is a based on my published novel, Tarot of the Demons, revolving around a karma demon who would be the extra card in the deck..a bit like judgement I guess, or justice. There will be no meanings for reverse. I would also publish a detailed book going deeper into the meanings.
The deck will have nothing to do with religious connections, nor any fallen angels. it is more of a different species of being from another dimension.
Please let me know if this interests you, as the less the interest, I would consider scrapping the idea. thanks.

Honeysun

Hi, that would be great :) However, I'd be a bit scared, because I always associate demons with dark forces :D

demontarot

that's what I'm afraid of, so trying to get around that. I think it would appeal more to gamers and sci fi movie buffs as collectors..maybe I should change name to something like karma tarot, but they were meant to be an extension of my book and script, namely Tarot of the Demons... decisions....

Lareia

What kind of form do your demons have? Since you mentioned it won't be the classic demons, I take it they might be different.

demontarot

they would be entirely made up. the ain character in the script/book is a demon called Hsanatasi.(my friend and my name jumbled, tina and sasha) the rest would be ghostly apparitions, other creatures, maybe drago like, making a realm of make believe, like Japanese gaming cards for instance.

Metafizzypop

that's what I'm afraid of, so trying to get around that. maybe I should change name to something like karma tarot, but they were meant to be an extension of my book and script, namely Tarot of the Demons... decisions....

There's a deck that came out several years ago called the Karma Tarot. But I think it would be perfectly OK to call your new deck the Tarot of the Demons. You had no problem using that title for the book. Why would there be a problem using it for the tarot deck? If it sounds dark, that's OK, too. A lot of people like dark. They like dark a lot. If it worries you, maybe a touch of humor in the artwork might help.

demontarot

thank you for that, good idea. ive looked on google images and there are some Russian demon tarot cards. I use gothic tarot, which are black and red. I love them, but the people I read for look a bit worried when they see skeletal figures lol. I just say..we're all like that underneath. it's who we are.

demontarot

other than that, I want to do a serpent pack with all types of snake breeds. i'd better get cracking!

Tigerangel

For me the name wouldn't really bother me, as I'm attracted to decks visually so I need to like the artwork in it foremost for me to consider buying it, also borderless decks work better unless the border fits the theme of the deck as with the border on the shadowscapes tarot, that's probably the only border on a deck I actually like.

I think it would beneficial for you to remember that people who buy tarot decks aren't always going to be interested in reading any novels that that the tarot deck was created from, I have the wisdom of the house of night Oracle which is a deck that was created from a book series, but I have no interest in ever reading the books, but I love the cards so it's best to try and make the deck work as a stand alone deck as well as workable with your book.

I'm not sure how your card images will look, but the first impression I think many will get with a deck named Tarot of the Demons is that it's a dark deck and maybe a deck that would be suited to shadow work, of course that would be dependent on how the card imagery came across to prospective buyers, you could maybe consider changing demons to the archaic spelling as in daemons, it may take the fear out the title for some also you might get a better sense of interest in your deck if you do some sample cards to help buyers get a feel of the overall imagery of the deck.

However you proceed with the deck good luck with it :)

demontarot

thanks for the advice. working on samples at mo.