Major Arcana and the Thelemic Holy Season

Grigori

I noticed a little while back that the Temple of Thelema (as I understand it an offshoot of the A.A. in California) celebrates the Thelemic Holy Season by exploring the 22 cards of the Major Arcana. They start with The Universe on March 20th, and move up the Tree of Life, Culminating with the Fool on April 10th, the last day of the reception of the Book of Law (yay, time for a feast :D). http://www.thelema.org/home/thelemic_holy_season.html

I thought this might be a good exercise for me to do, try to find a way to incorporate each of the cards into my daily life over that 22 day period. So I'm gonna do it :) And since I'm doing it, I though I might see if anyone else wants to participate? Well... do you? :)

I'm basically think to post to this thread each day about my experiences or activities with the card of the day, for the 22 day period. Maybe learn a few new things along the way.

Anyone else?

thorhammer

I'll pass, sadly, because I just started that course and it requires that we have a card of the week. I just have too much I'm committed to, so I'll have to bail.

Might be up for the feast, though LOL

\m/ Kat

Grigori

No worries Kat, I'll save a flagon or two for you, and maybe a nice bit of roast dinner. Maybe between your card of the week and my card of the day we'll match up somewhere along the way :)

Always Wondering

Oh, this is just what I need as I am feeling a little stuck. What a great idea. I might be traveling a couple of those days but I will work around it.

And yes Kat, if our cards correspond, don't be shy.

AW

ravenest

I'd like to ... but dont post every day. How are you going to work it?

Always Wondering

Oh, please come when you can.

I might not get to be here everyday either. So I thought I would journal it and add here when I could, if it seemed right.

Does that seem right Grigori?

AW

Grigori

Sounds good to me. I just thought this a good excuse to spend a couple weeks focusing on the cards again. I'll just journal each day on my activities of the day, and hope to steal some ideas for good things to do from others also doing this. If your able to post just once a week, or even once the whole time would be fine I think Ravenest, its all just a way to share thoughts and ideas :)

Grigori

It's March 20 so I've started today with The Universe. I thought it would be good to pair this exercise with other things I've been meaning to try, one of the best things for me about magical type interests is the other skills it forces you to learn. So today I have tried a meditation technique I've not done before. From Kraig's 'Modern Magick' I did the tarot meditation.

You do a bit of a relaxation visualization and then a LBRP, then take a card (The Universe!) and scan it in small sections, as if your trying to memorize it in centimeter deep horizontal chunks. Then once you've done that, close you eyes and try to hold the image of the whole card in your mind.

Then you scan the card in your mind, but instead of memorizing it in these horizontal chunks, you delete it in chunks. So by the end your left picturing nothing and, apparently with more practice that I've had, sliding into meditative bliss.

It was interesting how difficult it was holding the image of the whole card in my mind at one time. The general layout I could do, and I could focus on feature areas, but holding the whole thing in my head at once was impossible for me.

I also realized while doing this just how much movement there is in the image in The Universe. It seems I often think of the image in a fairly stationary way, but if you picture the parts spinning and moving its a bit trippy.

Anyway, this was a good start for me, and I may do a similar exercise tomorrow. Not sure if I want to do something different for each card, or just use this to really practice the one thing each day.

Professor X

Why exactly are these particular 22 days set aside to celebrate this holiday if you guys dont mind me asking.

I like the idea by the way.

When I get my Thoth deck I am doing to try doing what was recommended.

I would assume these days are chosen because that is when the Sun enters the sign of Aries ? ?

Always Wondering

http://oto-usa.org/calendar.html

I don't think the full 22 days are official holidays. But 22 days fall between two official holidays so the Temple of Thelema celebrates them.

From the Book of Law

42. A feast every day in your hearts in the joy of my rapture.
43. A feast every night unto Nu, and the pleasure of uttermost delight.

Thanks for sharing Grigori. I might work up to that technique. It's still the beginning of my day here so I am just getting started.

AW