The Process by Dan Pelletier 6 Audio CD's

avalonian

Having read Jeannette's post I think maybe we ought to leave the poor chap in peace and be grateful for what he has given us. I haven't been able to listen to it yet as I'm still waiting somewhat impatiently for the postman to arrive (how long should it take for the MP3 version to get to the UK?). As it stands at the moment it seems to be a unique project and it would be a shame for it to lose that status.

Maybe the written book to go with "The Process" should be our journals.

:) :) :)

Alissa

avalonian said:
Having read Jeannette's post I think maybe we ought to leave the poor chap in peace and be grateful for what he has given us.

:) :) :)
I guess the follow up to my earlier post would be that over the years I've already come to exactly this approach about it too.

Everyone's already said why listening to this book is a wonderful way to experience it. Having heard a small taste of it so far, I am 100% agreed.

mac22

Jeannette,

Your post just makes me more excited.... Hurry up Express Mail:D

Mac22

All Is One

Mac22, I'd love to know what you think of this when you get it!

mac22

All Is One said:
Mac22, I'd love to know what you think of this when you get it!

Be glad to. I have both written & audio course experience with the Amberstone's.

Mac22

whipsilk

Jeannette's defense of the audio vs written format for Dan's book provoked a great deal of thought. But then I ran into this, which sent me scurrying to my small bookcase of tarot books...
Jeannette said:
When was the last time you read a book on tarot that was written in the second person? Have you ever read a book on tarot written in the second person?
And what I discovered was that most of the tarot books I own are written in the second person. They include:
- Tarot for Your Self and 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (Greer)
- Learning the Tarot (Bunning)
- The Complete Tarot Reader (Michaelson)
- What's in the Cards for You? (McElroy)
- Tarot Tips (Amberstone & Amberstone)
- Tarot Shadow Work (Jette)
I didn't even check my larger collection of companion books, but I'm certain some of them are also second person.

Now it's certainly true that beyond tarot books, finding a book written in the second person is very unusual (in fiction it's almost unheard of). But, with all due respect to Jeannette, I don't think her principal argument stands up. Sure, the voice connection is powerful; I haven't yet heard The Process so I can't address it's value but it seems very high in this case. But let me just mention one other reason for having it in hardcopy besides the oft-cited ease of reference -- price. A paperback book would probably be $10 to $15; the audios are $45 or $60. That's a significant difference for those who are on a tight budget.

While I'd no doubt lose some of the intimacy and personal connection of the audio (but no more so than I would Mary Greer or the Amberstones if those books were available on audio - and maybe they are), I'd still rather have the book. And frankly, I believe it would reach a wider audience. So I remain an advocate of publishing a hard copy. Thanks for listening...

All Is One

Don't Be Afraid

Whipsilk,

You do make some interesting points. But the fact remains that Dan made this piece of art. He is the artist. If someone wants to convince me to make a leather bag out of a black hide, I would now just say "No, I don't work with black hide anymore, the dye leaves the hide stiff and crumbly and unnatural. It makes me go against everything I love about working with leather."

Or I could just say "No."

Dan will have to be the one who decides.

I personally see the merit inhaving it available only in this form. At least for now.

One of the main merits is:

If you want to learn what Dan has to say...

then you have to have the patience and the desire and the tenacity and the openness to sit down and listen to him tell it as he wishes to tell it.

If Dan decides to put out a book, I will buy it.

But this is the art he has produced.

It is what he has presented and I love it.

Please give this a try, people, it is not as hard as it might seem.

You all seem a bit frightened, and there is nothing to be afraid of here, unless you are just not ready for it.

In which case, you can always come back later....he'll wait for you.

Mariana

Jeannette said:
Perhaps it's because we're addressing something that is trying to speak to the heart and soul as opposed to the intellect. Perhaps it's because Dan believes that even when not face-to-face, teachers and students work best when there's a personal connection. I dunno. All I'm saying is that, in my personal opinion, you can't experience The Process strictly in printed form without much of the impact and significance becoming lost. I can perhaps accept an argument for having a print copy available as a supplement -- to refer to only after the audio version has been experienced, and the lessons have begun the process of becoming truly integrated into the learner's psyche. But for me, it's difficult to me to imagine working through The Process without embracing the immediate and intimate medium of the audio format as we begin (or continue) our journeys into personal and spiritual growth with the tarot. To do otherwise would be an antithesis to the very ideas that The Process is all about.
Very good point.

All Is One said:
You all seem a bit frightened, and there is nothing to be afraid of here, unless you are just not ready for it.
What makes you think that? I bet that most people here who are asking for a printed book are also buying the audio book anyway. It's just that we prefer an (additional) printed book. But yes, maybe the Process is also about leaving that comfort zone...

whipsilk

Let me clarify something from my post. I certainly was not taking issue with everything Jeannette wrote. In fact, the paragraph Mariana quoted is one of the most compelling arguments for having The Process in audio form (it's beautifully stated as well). The reading aloud of books has a long and honorable history; and we all know that the oral tradition is far older than the written. And what Dan's written is definitely a one-way "dialogue" (that I suspect he'd like us to participate in as much as possible), fascinating to read (and I'm sure to hear).

Skydancer

How oh how did I not know about this --
I've now listened to (the posted parts of) chapters 22 and 26 ...... ahhh Danny boy; your voice is sublime.

Guess I'd always known it would be.
Well - back to saving pennies again. I have always loved/enjoyed tremendously the way you write and/or subject matter but now I totally love the way you sound. How cool is that.

Thanks.
Annie
*S*