Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

schmedrake

Thanks, ladies!

I do think it would make a cool app. I'm not sure how all that happens, but I'm pretty sure it would have to come at me from Llewellyn. I think it would be interesting for randomly generating spreads, but for building your own, I think the cards are more efficient. Still it would be fun to have an app. :)

Theta Choir

Just got mine!

I just bought my Deck of 1000 Spreads from Barnes & Noble yesterday, and used it for the first time tonight; Gotta say, I love it.

As a newer ADHD-diagnosed tarot reader who has the basic card meanings down, the next step for me is learning to interpret the cards in relationship to each other. But because of the frustration of trying to remember card meanings, spread position meanings, and process card interactions all at the same time, I had mostly given up on spreads completely.

It's such a simple concept, but seeing the spread positions clearly labeled reduces my stress level and allows me to concentrate on a more nuanced kind of reading than I had been attempting before. Not having to remember spread positions is very freeing. I really love what you've done with this, Schmnedrake. Well done! I cant' wait to work with it some more!

Lourdez

Mine has been here for a week and I haven't had a chance to use it yet :(

I am not one to use spreads as I can't remember positions or what the spots are etc. so this is perfect for me to learn spreads :):)

Thank you can't wait to try it :)

shadowdancer

mine is coming snail mail by the looks of it - been 3 weeks since it was marked as posted from Amazon and no sign as yet.

Still only read positive things about this deck, so am definitely looking forward to it.

I am interested in seeing how the current owners use it. Do you create spreads with positions already in mind? Do you just shuffle each section and draw one or two cards from each and use those?

So come on peeps, share the experience :D :D

Davina

schmedrake

Thank you, Theta and Lourdez. It makes me smile to hear that this is helping you focus more and learn about spreads.

Shadowdancer, I recently made a post at www.1000spreads.com that detailed one woman's technique. You might enjoy reading it in her words.

Personally I use one of two methods. I draw at random from a shuffled full deck. I do that mostly with one-card draws. And when I'm reading for others or with a specific topic in mind, I'll just thumb through the deck face-up and pull out all the cards that might be interesting for the topic. Then when I have all those pulled out, I see which ones I really want to use and make spread out of them.

Of course it's easy for me to say, but I don't envision me looking in a book or online for a spread to use in the future. I'll probably still pull out the Celtic Cross now and again. Or the Star spread. But this deck lets me be "in the moment" with a reading...using the positions that jump out at that particular moment in time. There's just a more organic dance between the spread and the cards and the reader for me when using it. The more I hear how other people are using it and the more I use it myself, I realize that my role in this has been more like Dr. Frankenstein. I put the parts together, but once that was done, the thing has taken on a life of itself. There's so much more to it than I envisioned or planned for. I feel blessed to be a part of it.

schmedrake

Thank you, Theta and Lourdez. It makes me smile to hear that this is helping you focus more and learn about spreads.

Shadowdancer, I recently made a post at www.1000spreads.com that detailed one woman's technique. You might enjoy reading it in her words.

Personally I use one of two methods. I draw at random from a shuffled full deck. I do that mostly with one-card draws. And when I'm reading for others or with a specific topic in mind, I'll just thumb through the deck face-up and pull out all the cards that might be interesting for the topic. Then when I have all those pulled out, I see which ones I really want to use and make spread out of them.

Of course it's easy for me to say, but I don't envision me looking in a book or online for a spread to use in the future. I'll probably still pull out the Celtic Cross now and again. Or the Star spread. But this deck lets me be "in the moment" with a reading...using the positions that jump out at that particular moment in time. There's just a more organic dance between the spread and the cards and the reader for me when using it. The more I hear how other people are using it and the more I use it myself, I realize that my role in this has been more like Dr. Frankenstein. I put the parts together, but once that was done, the thing has taken on a life of itself. There's so much more to it than I envisioned or planned for. I feel blessed to be a part of it.

ctrymaus

I just got the Deck of 1000 Spreads yesterday! I love it! I've designed my own spreads for years, most of the time on the fly. But I didn't want to have to search for a spread or sit down and design one yesterday. I had a question and needed information and guidance. I have only read about 1/2 of the instruction book (which is really useful!); but I took a card for the situation, a pro card and con card, some timing cards, and an advice card. I used my Angel Tarot deck, which I haven't actually used in quite some time. I got a really clear understandable reading and very helpful too.

I'm looking forward to using this deck a lot, for ease of setting up spreads but also for divining spreads!

The box (at least the one I got) has a flimsy insert, so I'm waiting on a pretty drawstring bag for the cards. The book is hefty and is very good reading!

CountryMouse

ctrymaus

mine is coming snail mail by the looks of it - been 3 weeks since it was marked as posted from Amazon and no sign as yet.

Still only read positive things about this deck, so am definitely looking forward to it.

I am interested in seeing how the current owners use it. Do you create spreads with positions already in mind? Do you just shuffle each section and draw one or two cards from each and use those?

So come on peeps, share the experience :D :D

Davina

I just got my deck yesterday, but needed to do a reading almost right away. Something had come up and I needed guidance. I usually only do 1-card pulls or 3-card spreads, but I needed more. I didn't want to spend time looking up a spread.

What I did in using the Deck of 1000 Spreads was go through the deck face up and find the cards that covered what I wanted to know, then laid them out, then proceeded with my tarot reading as usual. I got a clear, accurate reading. Very helpful!

I'm halfway through reading the guidebook and will be trying all kinds of other things with this deck!

CountryMouse

ctrymaus

Hi, Shadowdancer. That was actually an intention I had at the time...an add-on pack. And it might be time to talk to Llewellyn about that.

The reason I didn't do it from the get-go was because all the thoughts I had quickly brought the total number of cards to near 100. In my own mind at the time, I thought 100 cards might be very overwhelming...might make individual cards hard to find. And that would be a pretty huge deck to shuffle, etc. So I decided to start with a set that represented the basic, classic spreads and see how that went. In my proposal, though, I did put that bug out in case this was a success. In that case, it would deck only....no book. Kind of like Lo Scarabeo is doing with As Above and So Below. At least I assume So Below will be deck only.

Thank you for your comments. And Lee's suggestions have blown my mind so far...haha.

I would definitely buy an add-on pack. My sweetie is a board game collector and often buys add-ons for games that come out later. You can play the basic game or something more.

I have only had your deck for one day, but can see I'm going to be using it a LOT. I mostly read oracle cards, but I did do an actual tarot reading with it yesterday (the day I got it!). I'm loving it! And I think you did a great job on the guidebook. Not something to skim--lots of good info!

P.S. If you do an add-on, could you please let us know when it would be coming out so we could pre-order or something?

CountryMouse

schmedrake

Thanks, CountryMouse! If we get to do a completer pack, I'll probably yap about it until people's ears turn red. So you'll know....haha. Thanks for all the nice stuff you said about my book. And also visit www.1000spreads.com for more cool things. I'm trying to update it once a week or so with new spreads and/or new ideas as they come up.