Xena: The Bitter Suite

MissJo

If you have Netflix, here is the link: http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70071697&trkid=3325854

I've been going on a Xena binge as of late and I stumbled upon this episode last night. I really do think it's inspired by Tarot cards, though the hints are subtle save for a few obvious ones.

Generally I get a bit annoyed when Tarot is featured... it's always Death predicting some gruesome death, or even The Hanged Man predicting some gruesome death! This is different though, it's more about the journey of Tarot. I believe Callisto is The Fool, the Wheel of Fortune is bloody obvious, Aries might be The Emperor, Joxer might be The Hanged Man (the pose is right, at least). Xena/Aries reminds me of The Lovers, and there is definitely an air of choice between going back to what she was before, or continuing on the path of good.

I didn't catch other ones, but I'm sure there are a lot more. What do you guys think?
(or those who can watch it, at least)

Teheuti

Love, love, love this. Most of the images are there, although I haven't counted all of them. A few are really subtle.

Some of the songs include lines from Paul Foster Case's Book of Tokens. For those who don'kt know, the entire episode is sung.

This is my favorite TV Tarot piece of all time!

Images are up on the TV & Movie Watch List on my blog.

Chiriku

I've only gotten a few minutes into the part with the blonde nemesis who is clearly The Fool, and Xena is clearly The High Priestess. Oh, and there's the Chariot with the charioteer and his sphinxes.

Oh yes, definitely tarot-inspired (and specifically, RWS-inspired). Good call.

N1ghts0ng

OMG...i totally forgot about this episode and the images in it! Saw it years ago and thought "hey, that's pretty nifty!" and it's completely slipped my mind until i saw this post

Babalon Jones

Darn might have to get Netflix just to see this. Love Xena! I made a Xena costume out of duct tape and pleather a couple of years ago, and it turned out surprisingly awesome looking! Wish I could show you a photo of me in it, but not sure I'd want that on the internet, lol. It looked damn good, though ;-)

MissJo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biHo6R9-bD8

Above is a link to an interview with the cast about creating this episode, it certainly seemed like quite a pain in the behind but it was definitely worth it!

I watched it again and tried to guess which cards inspired what, I think I'm going to give it another shot soon. It's kind of fun :)