8 Epees (Swords) - how may it be read?

jmd

An eight is for me either often an abundance (a cornucopia symbol), or the number of Justice.

The eight of swords, depicting as they do also a quadruple vesica piscis, is the only sword depiction shown three times in the series: as eight, as nine, and as ten.

In a reading, given the incredible symmetry of this depiction - that in the Conver even maintains its colouration when rotated, even though not mirror image, there may be an indication that the person is going around in circles in an attempt to engage what may be best left to grow of its own accord - and to allow for Lady Justitiæ to just take over, and a repose to be permitted to replace an active involvement.

There is an abundance of will-activity that has already been, or is currently being, given to the cardinal points of the compass - ie, to every avenue open. The swords, however, are here on each side stable and firm... allowing for the other to act it further called for.

Attached is the Conver version.

Attachments

• Conver 8 E.jpg
    Conver 8 E.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 197

Sophie

Two interpretations come to mind, somewhat linked:

- your mind has reached perfect balance between receptive (blue) and active (red). It has expanded and feels complete and stable in itself. The swords look mirrored in each other - therein lies the danger of stagnation, even of narcissim, unless you focus on the receptive central flower to go through the mirror.

- or: you have come through conflict and arrived at closure (within yourself or with another), but the perfect balance you have reached could hold you prisoner of remembered pain: by focussing on the central flower, the receptive centre of the balance, you can move through the oval of swords, towards full reconciliation.

Moonbow

Looking at the depiction of the 8 it is a symmetrical number and the card also is symmetrical. It relates back to Justice which, to me, takes into account the rule 'what goes around, comes around'. It also relates to the eight chakras (including the first spiritual chakra) which, when in balance, provide complete harmony and also is twice 4 which is the number of stability and solidarity.

I read this card as peace of mind, knowing and trusting that decisions and acts that we make are correct, and of being definate in purpose. When we are confident in our decisions we are at peace with ourselves and our lives are in balance. In my opinion there is also an honest and frank feel about the card.

tmgrl2

Deleted...didn't realize the post had "taken."

tmgrl2

Just did a long post on this card and was interrupted and LOST the whole thing...so guess it was meant to be shorter.

8 d'Espees (I will link the Hadar) is a very powerful and solid card as I see it...one of the intellect being fully developed, also one of two 4's, two squares....with the squares representing all aspects of the material plane...money, career, health, spirit, love, emotions. So even though the swords I see as Air/Intellect...the 8, being two squares, places the aspects of this card in all domains.

Since it is so safe, harmonious, solid, secure and positive, I also feel, depending upon where it appears, that it can be a card that might tempt one to not move away from this position. Alas, all in life changes, completions must happen....so the eights, while focused, solid and concentrated, also have within them the temptation to not change.

Therefore, the central rose. The work is not yet completed. The seed, the rose, rests safely within the swords, but there is more work to do on a higher plane, on a more spiritual level.

The nines, which come next, I believe take us to the next plane of development. (I will jump to the Neuf d'Espees after this).

terri

Attachments

• Espees.jpg
    Espees.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 173