Justice - how may it be read?

jmd

I'll try but to only rarely comment on various decks - allowing each to speak of its own accord.

For Justice, however, I hold that one of its important attributes is that the figure be free of any blind-fold or hood-wink.

Justice, to me at any rate, may show that there is an understanding of the situation at hand which is apparent. Not 'retribution', but rather karma in the more natural ramifications of 'ye shall reap what thou have sownest'.

This is one of those depictions that harkens back to not only Ancient Greece, but earlier yet, and the concept of Maat, for this card, I often accept: to weigh against one's heart truth.

Moonbow

This is what I posted about Justice in another thread regarding similarities between the Queen of Swords and Justice:

'Justice holds a gaze of forthrightness and shows no sign of emotion. This is also emphasised because she is focussed straight ahead at the reader. Looking to the left or right would perhaps not show her as fair, as though she was under another influence. Holding a sword in one hand and scales in the other shows physical strength and perhaps we are to consider this as mental strength as well, for the task that she undertakes. Does she have one scale balanced on her knee? Always looks like it to me.'

I also wrote - in the 8 of Swords in this series of threads - that the 8 to me represents the saying 'what goes around, comes around' (I think jmd is copying me)! :D ;)

The reason she looks directly at the reader is to show her impartiality, whereas looking to our left (reflecting, emotional) and looking to our right (future, action, haste) would not see her as being fair. The card is also very symetrical and balanced with a feeling of directness and unswaying calm.

tmgrl2

La Justice, a female figure...intuition, sensitivity.

Yet she wields a sword ...intellect, analysis, power.

The sword is straight and held upright perfectly vertical in counterbalance to the scales she holds in her left hand, which are horizontal (when they are in balance). Together, the upright sword and the horizontal balance could be merged into the image of a cross.

To "cut" to "slice" to make decisions with knowledge and conscience, without a moral basis, leave no equitable or just resolution.

Again, two 4's...two solid squares to counterbalance each other....

Also, La Justice sits between Le Chariot (external energy) and L'Hermite (internal energy)...thus she serves to balance these two stages in the progression of the Trumps.

Equity, integrity, karma, cause and effect all at play for me in this card.

terri