Le Chariot - how may it be read?

jmd

Partly because of the nature of the two horses, the card may at times suggest that one needs to observe where the different parts of the self are directing one - and perhaps also why.

The Charioteer certainly appears in charge of his charge... whence comes he, and whither is he going, does he even know?

It seems to me that often it is more that tranquil inner state of beingness that he manifests, and thus can indeed be victorious.

For purely vanity's sake, I link the smiley to the card I made for the first Aeclectic project ;)

full deck

Despite some of the historical variations in the chariot, i.e., Dodal, Noblet, Convers, etc., There are certain attributes that remain fairly constant, namely a driver, elevated over two horses that seem in conflict against each other. I've considered this "driver" to be elevated over the forces that enable his movement. Perhaps the chariot is actually a throne rather than a chariot, thus a symbol of the driver's "elevation" over his circumstances. Though there is control over these forces, the driver is still bound by them to the confines of his chariot, thus I've considered this to speak of the relationship of one to things material.

Shalott

Well, the traditional meaning that I've read in various places works for me: determination, someone who will succeed not by luck or status, but from his own hard work, progress because of one's own merits.

Moonbow

There is alot of pomp and colour about this card, and to me the meaning revolves around victory and success. He is more than a Charioteer as shown by his dress and crown, I see him as royalty. He is reflecting on the past and is now reaping the benefits. I agree that he is in charge as he doesn't need to make any physical effort to control the horses or steer, but the horses themselves also have an element of being in charge.

To me there are alot of contradictions in this card. The horses are pulling in differeent directions - and one appears calm, whereas the other is agitated and frowning. The card suggests movement but also immobility. It could be read as being controlled in difficult circumstances and overcoming or truimphing over indecision.

tmgrl2

jmd, your link to your card and interpretation was most appreciated.

Your discussion there of the meaning of Le Chariot is by far the most exquisite one I have read to date! (Pour un livre, peut-etre? ) A book in English by jmd?

Not much to add to what has already been said.

Definitely a card about integretation and about the battle of the spirit over the material...search for truth. Victory of "driver" through the conquering of one's darker nature, with the implication that we have free will (hold the reins)
that guide us to use our gifts of reason and love to help us reach our goals on this plane and hopefully, at the same time, achieve our soul's purpose.

terri

Moongold

The Chariot is my personality/soul card as per Greer's system and I feel as though I've travelled quite a few miles with ithe concept.

Historically, I think chariots were introduced as part of military equipment in early or pre- Egyptian times. So this aspect of metaphor is negotiating the battlegrounds of self and life. The two horses in the Marseille version seem to be almost cartoon-like, perhaps a little ironic observation of the absurdity of some of our internal and external struggles at times. It is interesting that both the little critters are looking in the same direction although one of them is undecided.

I love the concept of Charioteer. It is an inherently noble one and this Charioteer appears noble and, indeed, beautiful. This speaks to me of the inherent beauty of the human spirit, but also of the need to remember that we can be so easily taken off track by off quirks of our humanity - these little red and blue ponies. Once set they can take us far from our intended purpose and we can be somewhere ghastly before we know it.

So let us accept our nobility (God given) but never let us take it too seriously. The attachment here may help us maintain as sense of proportion.

Attachments

• peanuts.jpg
    peanuts.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 246

Paul

Is s/he done with the battle, or just beginning?

Traditionally, this card is that of Fame and Victory.

Moongold

Yes ~ I should have mentioned that I see it as victory. But I get confused here with other meanings from post- Marseille systems.

I have always seen it primarily representing victory over self - self mastery through enlightenment.

Sophie

tmgrl2 said:
Definitely a card about integretation and about the battle of the spirit over the material...search for truth. Victory of "driver" through the conquering of one's darker nature, with the implication that we have free will (hold the reins)
that guide us to use our gifts of reason and love to help us reach our goals on this plane and hopefully, at the same time, achieve our soul's purpose.

I would say, rather, integration of spirit and matter - not victory of one over the other. Making them work together. We are made of matter but are uplifted by spirit. I have often reached the way of the spirit through a material - sensual road.

Like Moongold, I love this card, though it is not my soul card. It speaks of so much of humanity, of our choices, our roads, our individual and collective adventures. It speaks, too, of our ambition and pride, sometimes; and sometimes of our separation - our forgetting we are flesh and blood in our spiritual quests, or forgetting we are spirit, in our lust for possessions or sensual satisfaction. Or, more simply, it can show us integrating two desires which might appear contradictory (or being torn apart by them). It is a form of answer to the dilemma of VI-L'Amoureux.

In a reading, I take it to mean - go for it! or - keep yourself together! or - you will reach your goal if you can keep steady hands, eyes and heart. Don't lose yourself, keep your eyes on the road.

But what about the charioteer's hands? They are relaxed, not holding the reins. Does that mean control through the mind, or a possible complacency? or both possibilities?

Sophie

Moongold said:
I love the concept of Charioteer. It is an inherently noble one and this Charioteer appears noble and, indeed, beautiful. This speaks to me of the inherent beauty of the human spirit, but also of the need to remember that we can be so easily taken off track by off quirks of our humanity - these little red and blue ponies. Once set they can take us far from our intended purpose and we can be somewhere ghastly before we know it.

Moongold, have you ever seen the charioteers in the chariot races carved at the Parthenon? Apart from being stunning pieces of art, they are just as you describe a charioteer - noble, beautiful - with the beauty of movement (though carved in stone, there is a great sense of movement in those scenes). There are some good photographs - better try and find some large ones. I find them an amazing guide to understanding both the action and the symbol.