5 Deniers (Coins) - how may it be read?

jmd

The Five Deniers often have quite clear means of differentiating from one side to the other (upright/reversed), and the Hadar has a number of reference points one may use, not least of which the two roses located at the centre top and bottom - one presumably views the roses with two petals down and one up, a little like a pentagramme.

In addition to this, the various number of outer 'petals' on each coin varies significantly on the Hadar, making one side (the lower part in the attachment) being 'lighter'. In addition, the colouration of the plant part nearly touching the central coin has one side shaded red, the other blue.

But of course, that is the Hadar, and not all Marseille decks follow suit. A Grimaud-type (though with my shading) is also attached. There, the lower plants have a circular 'clasp' that links them.

Fives are wonderfully active. I remember the first time I visualised a series of repelling points within a hollow sphere, seeking for them to find a 'stable' position. A single point may settle anywhere; two repelling points settle on any longitudinal circumference exactly poles apart; three repelling forces form an equilateral triangle on, likewise, a longitudinal circumference; four stabilise at exact tetrahedral distance (three-sided pyramid). With five, however, we have the simplest perpetual motion machine! (though, of course, only conceptually): there is no means by which the five points can settle equidistantly within the surface of the sphere.

Five often, for myself, then, generates life, activity, and movement. They can be the creative impulse in a project or situation.

With coins, there is a sense that risks can be (or are) taken. Gambling may show up as a five.

...but 'nuff for now.

Attached are the Hadar and a Grimaud-type

Attachments

• Grimaud type 5 D.jpg
    Grimaud type 5 D.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 5 D Hadar.jpg
    5 D Hadar.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 199

Moonbow

Five is a bit of a chaotic number to me. After the stability of the 4 and before the harmonious 6. It feels to me like the need to express and test before settling down to the 6. I think of the Da Vinci man with 5 points going in different directions. Five senses, digits, fifth element of Ether, etc etc. It's a number where we start to question things that we have been taught, it shoots doctrines to bits and makes us think deeper and maybe even change direction.

One aspect of reading this card on it's own would tell me to question what is going on in my life. But another would be to perhaps be careful with money and not to split it up and pay out too much all in one go..... and looking at the card, the foliage has turned into a ribbon to surround the central coin, reminding us of the need to look after and protect our finances.

Sophie

Moonbow* said:
One aspect of reading this card on it's own would tell me to question what is going on in my life. But another would be to perhaps be careful with money and not to split it up and pay out too much all in one go..... and looking at the card, the foliage has turned into a ribbon to surround the central coin, reminding us of the need to look after and protect our finances.

I would say, rather, that with the activity and motion of the 5s (I like that idea of perpetual motion, Jean-Michel!), with the disruption of the stability of the 4, we have a card that tells us to take a financial or material or physical risk- albeit a calculated risk (hence the protective ribbon).

Taking up the idea of revolution again (and revolution, orginally, means a circular motion) - then we have here the exact moment of a revolution in the physical sense: the Bastille falls, the people are in the streets, the King must leave Versailles.

Moonbow

I agree Helvetica, nice take. I see risk taking too. This is where I think reading a card amongst others in the same spread gives a idea of the direction to take. I don't reverse my cards, I consider all meanings though - reverse and upright.

Having said that, after reading jmd's take on the 3 of coins, I am considering actually reversing the cards for reversals because this opens up a whole new picture.

My Marseilles reading is still evolving, and probably will continue to, I don't think I will ever get to a stage I will use set meanings, there is always more to see and notice.

tmgrl2

When I first looked for a system of numbers that I could work with, I found Umbrae's correspondences for 1 through 10 to resonate with what I could believe.

So, I still like what I have gotten from him re a 5.

Order and disorder.

Happiness and misfortune.

Fluctuation.

Nervous energy.

These last four from his notes....

I love the central denier....It could be seen as standing alone within the floral garland that surrounds it and thus be the denier radiates potential to the other four.

There is evolution going on which may bode well but which may indicate some strife in breaking free of the four. It is like a bridge in the middle across which the energies of the other four can cross and connect, bringing us through to the spiritual.

Also, with the six coming up, it's as if this fifth denier is a powerful symbol of the need to make a great leap, a transition, in order to achieve the harmony of the six...even though I still see some stability and new gestation in the sixes as well.

terri

Jewel-ry

I often see this card as a contradiction -

The central denier stands alone and yet protected ...

It is part of the whole and yet on its own ...

I think it tells us to let go of old habits and attitudes and go for it! To look for another way out. To be unpredictable and novel. To take a risk. Its change and movement from stability, so this could just be changing your daily routine.

So in the world of the deniers, it could be feeling stuck, alone, and possibly trapped with regard to the practical side of our lives - job, money or property. Wanting to break free from constraints but in the earthly realms, this may be difficult to do.

:)