2 Cups - Contrasting the Dodal and Conver

jmd

There's still quite a few threads to complete for this study, so here is a start to our ongoing work:

dodal_C2.jpg
<-- Dodal | Conver -->
conver_C2.jpg

As far as I recall, this is the first thread on a card from the suit of Cups.

It is also, of course, an important card in that it remains one of only three consistent cards being used for identification purposes, the other two being the Two Coins and the initials often carved on the front of the Chariot.

So let's first look at the above cards.

There are some obvious and clear major similarities apart from there being two cups. The first is perhaps that major 'panel' at the bottom on which many producers included their name - as is the case for the Jean Dodal. What is here unexpected for the Conver is that we find not the name or initials of Nicholas Conver, but what appears as royal (or ducal?) coat-of-arms with the letters G M at the bottom, perhaps suggesting the patronage enjoyed by Conver (and on this I of course stand to be corrected - and SHOULD really check my resources before posting in case these letters have already been indentified!).

The top sections of the cards, though in both cases giving the appearance of Dauphine-like (dolphin) imagery adjacent a central fountain, have the central section distinct. Here, the Dodal adds its own letters: PLN above the three FPE (this latter very likely, as also mentioned by others, referring to 'Fais Pour l'Etranger' - Made for the Foreign Market, ie, For Export). The PLN, however, has me stumped, and if the GM of the Conver does in some manner refer to patronage, then this may also be the case for the PLN, and in this case without a coat-of-arms.

The Cups each appear to have hexagonal bases, and in the case of the Dodal, appears to be clearly filled by showing content with cross-lines. The Conver, by contrast, simply has the red internal colour, without any indication as to whether it remains empty or full.

The number of 'petals' in both the central and the top sections is quite distinct in each case, with the Conver having a finer carver's touch. Despite this, it seems to my eyes that the Dodal depicts the central section as what appears to be nearly a whole (third) cup there hidden as 'fountain' top: even the 'lips' of the top are similar.

Of personal interest is that inclusion of the quartered diamond in the bottom panel on the Dodal... but perhaps more on that later, or simply cross-refer to an earlier Newsletter on the Dodal - and look forward to comments and further comparisons!

prudence

Very interesting...I also read the linked article, and am fighting off the urge to rifle through all of my decks and find that "4"...I know one of my decks has that on the Emperor...(I've already checked through my Besancon, Spanish and Vandenborre, no 4 on them) I know I have seen it though.

So, is the quartered diamond a reference to the Emperor's 4? Is it meant as a signal of the card maker's status in a Masonic society?

jmd

The '4' is on the Dodal and the Payen (both J. Payen and JP Payen).

The society was not a Masonic one, but equivalent to a professional association that linked those connected to the publishing trade (though the first and earliest reference I have seen is mentioned by Ambelain in the first part of last century). Even today, for example, the Journal Aries, above the interlaced 'A' (for 'Aries') and 'V' (really the sigil for Aries) has above it this '4'.

Moonbow

The most obvious difference in these cards to me is the style of of engraving which I suppose 50 years (?) difference in age may account for, and the progression of woodcut engraving and printing. The Conver seems more eleaborate in detail but to me loses some possible important features in it's 'accuracy'.

The dolphin-like fish of the Dodal appear to be kissing the centrepiece (the beginnings of a possible third cup that jmd mentions). The Dolphin has a long and traditionally important place in relationship with man in many cultures, as a mammal representing friendship and intelligence. Then we have the Conver which shows these fish as more aggressive looking to me, almost dragon-like. They remind me of the Chinese fish seen carved out of jade.

Both show the heart-shaped fountain spray. The Dodal depicts the dophins/fish as leaping out of the spurt of water, and the Conver depicting them as 'part' of the body of water, (mainly due to the colouring).

The Conver also shows the numbering of the card but I notice that the Dodal Cups only show it on the pips of 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10.

OnePotato

Claude Burdel's two of cups

Here is Claude Burdel's two of cups. 1751, Fribourg, Switzerland.

Just a few years earlier than Conver.

Burdel2Cups.jpg

Four dolphins here, and their bodies are more clearly defined, with the depiction of scales. (Which, of course, natural dolphins don't normally have!)

Interesting faint little flowers on the cups, just in the middle of the buldge...
For those keeping score, the left has four petals, the right has three.

Doesn't Dodal's little maltese cross usually appear on the pope's hand?
(But not on Paris or Vieville's pope. Hmmm... )

Moonbow

Tarocco Di Marsiglia Svizzera

How very interesting the Burdel is, particularly when compared to the Dodal and Conver.

To me, the 3rd cup is very obvious in the Burdel, and yet there is no water spurt at all.

As for the 4 and 3 petaled flowers, I 'could' see them both as 4 petals... kind of.

I've just looked at the Tarocco Di Marsiglia Svizzera, and it also has the Dolphins in a similar position, as though their tails are through a ring. The Marsiglia shows them as being a part of the water spurt also.

file0108dx5.jpg

Moonbow

... and a slightly blurred Noblet, by way of comparison:

picture1ya0.png

Shanti

Claude Burdel

Is Claude Burdel the painter of the Marseilles deck?

stella01904

Vieville:
VIEVIL2C.JPG