Le Pape - How may it be read?

Moonbow

In this card we see Le Pape giving a sermon or maybe teaching. He looks towards the future and not at his pupils, as though the way forward is the direction to take and he is speaking to many. His students though seem to be intent on what he is saying which gives the impression of the power that he holds.

Perhaps Le Pape comes into our lives at a time when we are seeking guidance, but not always a spiritual guidance. I personally would also think of this card in relation any spiritual path, such as that of a Reiki Master and students. He is an engaging person though, one that holds our attention when he speaks, and I sometimes feel that he holds back the full story at times and gives his students information drip by drip for them to consider.... a little like a Zen Master.

Here is Jean-Claude Flornoy's Le Pape...

papewebzr0.jpg

jmd

Within a reading situation, I often consider this card from a perspective of advice received or given, and to which the person is either not (as yet) paying attention to, or too easily dismissing.

Though anachronistic to the design, the thought of 'infallible' also comes to mind in regards to the reading at hand and the advice offered by whomever: not one that has to be followed, but rather carefully considered and listened to.

The three 'pillars' (two pillars at the back of the pope, and his staff at the front forming a third) show him to be within a triangular edifice, with a vertex in front of him, in the direction of his gaze, pointing out that he has a solid foundation of tradition to draw from (the two pillars proper) and a direction to head towards, grasped in his hand, as yet to be further built.

The direction of the hands of the two smaller figures points to the left of the card, whilst the pope's free hand to the right, also pointing out that the advice or direction may go against the grain of the mob, yet his path may not be theirs.

There is maturity in his countenance, and care (or rather, caritas).