A/t Herb Garden ?

mingbop

Would anybody like to design & plot an online herb garden which we can re-create in our own gardens with slight variations for climate & region ? I love herbs very much and this year I am going to enlarge and re-do my herbs. I love the historical bit and might try to go further with some old fashioned roses etc as well.
IF the sun ever comes out in Scotland..:)

celticnoodle

a very interesting idea, mingbop! I, too, love fresh herbs. I'd be interested in seeing what develops with your idea. I also plant herbs indoors during the winter, (mostly rosemary and basil) and we hope one day to add a 'sun room' to our house where we can have many more herbs inside. we have many more outside as the seasons permit, and also have begun a rose garden too. (The hubby loves roses). so, I'd be very much interested in this thread!

mingbop

we can include windowsill herb gardens in pots --the essential must-haves. I am very limited in a short growing season and know nothing about indoor herbs, so maybe we can get somebody who knows more about how to grow them inside..

cybercat

Now this is a neat idea. We just built our new place and I am planning on putting in a herb garden. Herbs are another of my hobbies. Ofcourse right now we hare just starting seeds indoors still to cold here for anything else. Our gardens have to be fully fenced as we have a dog that loves to help us by pulling up plants thinking she is weeding. ;)

Right now it's raining here and the thunder is bad.

Anam Cara

I love this idea too!
We bought our new/old house (new to us!) about a
year ago. We've been concentrating on fixing up the inside,
but now it's time to plan a garden!

I really MISS the herb garden I planted at our former place...
what a DRAG to BUY herbs to cook with!!!

Fortunately, there's already a diamond shaped
area bricked into the middle of the lawn right off the
back patio...and we're fortunate with our climate here...
a lot of herbs will grow year round.

I'm particularly interested in including plants in my garden
that can be used in teas, potpourris, dream pillows, and spellcasting...
I've already purchased a couple plants (sweet woodruff,
Cecile Brunner rose) that are patiently waiting
(in their pots) to be PLANTED!!! ;)

Looking forward to exchanging ideas here!!
:heart:cara

HearthCricket

I would be interested in seeing where this is heading! I started herb gardening, outside, 2 years ago, with planting lots and weeding out a lot this past fall. They grow insanely around here. Now that I know what grows, how much space they take, how it looks, how tall they get, etc., I have to rethink and start over. But they won't be available for planting in our area until May and early June. :( But I am reading more about herbs and trying to decide which ones I will give a go!

mingbop

I have a few herbs already but want a LOT more. I have rosemary which I love, and thymes, and lemon balm, and camphor. I want very much some nice feathery fennel for height, and a whole border of lavender along the path. (I want. LOL)
I dont cook with them, jsut like to have them to smell, and to dry over winter and scatter on the carpet to make the hoover smell nice.

cybercat

Well, lets see I am turning the whole north/front of our house into a herb and perennial garden. Right now I have catnip in a pot planted and spearmint. These were planted in thier pots today. When I lived up in PA I got hold of some patcholi(sp). I would love to get hold of some again now that I am futher south where it grows better.

So for right now the herbs I have besides those I already mention are rosemary, sage, thyme, basil and tarragon. I am planning on a few more mints for pots and many morecooking herbs as well as some medicinal. I would like to make my own tinctures and oils.

raeanne

Hi all,
I am very much interested in learning more about herbs. I would also like to hear what everyone uses their herbs for (spice, tea, healing, etc). My cat eats any herbs I try to grow indoors but I would like to add more to my outdoor garden. This sounds like fun!

celticnoodle

raeanne said:
Hi all,
I am very much interested in learning more about herbs. I would also like to hear what everyone uses their herbs for (spice, tea, healing, etc). My cat eats any herbs I try to grow indoors but I would like to add more to my outdoor garden. This sounds like fun!

a few of my favorite herbs are:

rosemary- I use them when I cook--esp. in my chicken dishes. I love the smell of rosemary, and after I cut up an onion, I'll wash & dry my hands and then rub them lightly on the rosemary to help get rid of that yucky raw onion smell! delicious! also a great mosquito repellent!

sage--another herb I cook with frequently. I also love the smell of sage and it dries so easily too! you can also freeze this easily, and I do this as well inside ice cube trays--put one sage leaf in each cube compartment, fill with water, and freeze. when you need it for a dish--throw it in, and the water will melt away and you have the sage leaf like it was when it was fresh! *did you know that sage is also a good plant that can promote healing for many ailments?* besides this, it's an attractive bush.

basil--mmmm!!! NOTHING beats a quick snack with a thinly sliced riped tomato, on top of a piece of italian bread, a bit of soft mozzarella and a basil leaf or two! aromatic and DELICIOUS!

thyme. many varieties, and one of my favorites is the lemon thyme. smells lemony and delicious too!

for your kitty-why not plant some catnip?! catnip can also be used for a tea (for humans), and is another plant that helps to repel mosquitoes!

just a few of my favorite herbal plants and a few of their uses.