Gone and bought it!

Melissa`

Well... after listening to most everyone here.. I went out and bought the Thoth deck today. Haven't even opened it and looked at the cards yet. But I'm here, and happy about the buy! .. Hopefully I can learn something from you guys. :)

Blessings,
Amaya

Richard1

I hope you like 'em! I think they're almost perfect...they have a lot to offer, but it takes quite a bit of study and concentration to get the most out of them...I think I've barely scratched the surface of what they have to offer...

Silverlotus

I bought my deck last week. After posting questions and reading the study group, well, I couldn't help myself. I got the small blue box version, not the one I wanted, but the price was right. I'm very pleased with the deck. I certinally don't get the "bad vibes" many people mention. Maybe because my opinon of Crowley has changed recently. *shrug* I look forward to working with this deck and participating in the study group.

coldsuns

The cards tells you alot. You can see many things in one card. There are animals,signs and events. It seems to be hard and rather messy but with patient, it is very easy. You can actually master the basics within a few weeks.

I've the large version green deck. Is hard to shuffle and cant reverse but the cards really tell you alot and you will get to know the answer you want just a few glances at the cards. I hope to have the medium/normal size!! ^_^

Emily

I've had my Thoth for a couple of weeks and I too am just barely scratching the surface of the various meanings, they cards seem to shout at you sometimes they are so busy, or you see something on a particular card that you've not noticed before and wonder how you've missed it lol.
I first bought the big green version around a year ago I think but I didn't like it but wanted to get to know this deck, I love the artwork - so this version I'm using is the one in the lavender box with the 3 Magus, its a lovely version, a nice size to shuffle too and big enough so as not to miss anything from the cards. :)

Edited to say:
With the big green version, I did get the 'bad vibes' thing happening, like SilverLotus mentioned, I've posted before on the fact that I felt like I had to wash my hands after using them (the 'Dark decks' thread I started) but this version is so different, there is nothing threatening about them at all and the only thing I get from these cards is a feeling of fascination and wanting to learn how to use them.

Richard1

It's funny...I got the lavender box version first, but they freaked out my girlfriend, so I returned them. Later, with her blessings, I got the green-tinted ones (didn't realize they were green-tinted until after I got them...feh).
Well, somehow, the Emperor vanished from the deck...I couldn't find him anywhere...
So I re-bought the lavender ones, and everything's fine...

Emily

Hi Richard,

When I first opened my small Thoth and started looking through the cards, I couldn't understand why I get the strange vibes off the large green deck, I know of Aleister Crowley's reputation, it wasn't as if I didn't know where the deck symbolisation originated from, so after not seeing or feeling anything wrong with my new small deck I got the large green one out, that lasted only a couple of minutes - This deck actually does make my flesh crawl lol then yet again I felt like my hands were dirty, its not that the deck is threatening, it just doesn't feel right, I've never even got farther than shuffling it lol. This deck has been cleansed a couple of times and is the reason why I won't buy anymore second hand decks or trade mine on.
But after saying that I love my new version and the readings are some of the most intense I've ever had, it really packs a punch

Richard1

Hmmm...a lot of people will say that the only thing sinister about the deck is Crowley's reputation, but perhaps there's something about the green tint that rubs people the wrong way? Much like how prisons use pale pink as a calming influence? I dunno...
And yeah, they certainly pack a punch...I know someone who described them as being like someone who runs up behind you in a dark alley and starts hitting you with a baseball bat, all the while shouting things about yourself that you don't want to hear. I wouldn't go that far, but it's not the most comforting deck out there.
But it is definitely an honest deck, which is more than I can say for a lot of the "prettier" Tarots out there...
And I really wish I knew what happened to that Emperor...

Alobar

(maybe he abdicated!)

i think that it's really important to avoid the 'green' deck, but not due to any weird vibes emanating from it.
everything about the Thoth deck is very carefully designed to convey specific images and symbols, and perhaps no element more so than the colors. the green tint alters the all the colors slightly, and thereby distorts their symbolic meanings relative to Crowley's intention (see 777).

the only thing i DO like better about this version is the LWB. the one that comes with the Swiss printing is pretty useless, imo. but that's a very minor consideration really. the purpose of buying the deck is to get the cards, and most people who wish to delve more deeply into the Thoth tarot will be buying the associated books anyway.

i hope you enjoy your journey of discovery with these cards. i found it to be a whole new world of tarot!

Centaur

I have the lavender boxed deck. These cards are stunningly fantastic. Although, like many of you have already said, I have barely scratched the surface with them.

With regards to the 'bad vibes', I don't get any from my deck. It is HIGHLY important to remember that the artist hired to work on these cards had nothing to do with Crowley's 'darker' side, and put much positive energies into these drawings. It is such a shame that Crowley's reputation may put some people off buying what is a fantastically beautiful deck.