Book of Thoth Fetches $4,250.00

Sheri

That thud you heard was me fainting dead away...

wow!

valeria :)

Aeon418

It's a pity that the annotations are so hard to see. They could have been interesting. It looks as if they were written with a quill dipped in coffee and then smudged over with more coffee to make sure they were completely illegible. :D

serenaserendipity

I don't think it's too much money for what it is...

Hell, a piece of ugly metal (like an automobile) sells for a lot more

-serendip

Rusty Neon

It's interesting about the borders of the card images in that 1st edition of the Book of Thoth. They look a lot like the ones in the current AG Müller printing of the Thoth deck, thus greatly different from the circa 1970 Llewellyn Hong Kong deck and the circa 1970 Llewellyn U.S. deck.

Attachments

• hierophant 1st edition.jpg
    hierophant 1st edition.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 159

Rusty Neon

serenaserendipity said:
I don't think it's too much money for what it is...

Hell, a piece of ugly metal (like an automobile) sells for a lot more

-serendip

Yea, the first edition was limited to 200 copies. And I wonder how many of those 200 copies have actually survived up to today and not become lost.

Lillie

Oh! wonderful!

I have always wanted to know what the borders were like in that original edition.

Turns out they are the same as the borders in my edition (early 70's paperback by Weiser.)

So, why the original printings did away with the design... I don't know.
Anyway. For anyone interested. Check the number at the top. It is in a circular gap in the design. Later cards made that oval, to fit the numbers in better.

Also, both the number, and the name at the bottom look hand written.
Harris's hand, I aways thought.

Shame there has never been an edition with that on.

It's nice, better than the type set. Same as on the RWS.

TheoMo

From the pictures it looks really quite beautiful. I was scrolling down and was almost knocked by the Hierophant. Made me re-think how special this deck really is.