Something you should know (about modern Thoth Printings)

Umbrae

For some time now, the ‘Blue Box Thoth’, and the Green Box Thoth – have contained the same identical product.

Just thought you should know…

Arcana XV

Was there a time when there was a difference between the two other than the color of the box? If so, what was it? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Emily

Hi Umbrae,

I've wondered about that for a while now - I have the green box Thoth and considered getting the Blue box but the Blue box is a lot more expensive than the green - now I won't bother. :)

Like Arcana XV, I'm also curious - was there once a difference in printing quality or cardstock?

Jeannette

I'm bumping this thread to revisit the issue of the "green box" (USG) vs. "blue box" (AGM) Thoth decks, as apparently the word still hasn't gotten out about the current equivalence of these decks. It is important to keep in mind that the box is not the deck. Recently, I had a customer write to inquire whether it was true that the green box and blue box decks are now the same. I replied that I can't guarantee anything with 100% certainty unless I break open the box and unseal the cards to have a look... different printings of the same deck, even by the same publisher, can have variations to a greater or lesser degree. And publishers certainly don't bother to inform resellers when they're doing another print run of a deck. But I went on to say to the customer that we had it on the direct report of Stuart Kaplan's personal assistant that USG has had AGM put their same "blue box" decks into the USG green boxes for some time now.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I thought it might be helpful to others to review the reply I received from that customer after the package had been received:

Just got my thoth deck yesterday and checking them out it is true the new decks from usgames is exactly like the all popular and wanted Swiss deck, No difference the cards are vivid and beautiful. They do not have that terrible green tint to them that the other us cards had. Thanks for letting your customers know this. I also noticed that they are printed the same place as the Swiss deck.

As it is going to become increasingly difficult (at least for a while) to get any of the blue box AGM decks over to North America (long, political story), I thought it might be beneficial to underscore the fact that the same quality can be had immediately, and at a lower price, by purchasing the green box edition at this point.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Alta

Thank you for this Jeannette!

chriske

Two brand new decks compared

Just for information, I have opened 2 brand new boxes of the large cards - the very latest AGM blue box and the slightly older USG green box. Both have 1996 AGM copyright labels on the reverse. Both printings look absolutely first class, however, the USG colours are visibly bolder. Most obvious are the Wands Court cards - USGs "red" is scarlet whereas the AGM blue box "red" is more towards the pink scale. I must say it really is not an extreme difference but the AGM blue box cards have more of a "pastel" feel.

Just out of curiosity, I opened up the latest Weiser Green box and the cards look absolutely identical to the cards in the USG. Hope this has been helpful in some small way.

Abrac

I noticed the same thing awhile back when I compared my US Games and AGM standard-sized versions. The difference was slight but noticeable.