House of matter on the universe card

SilentBreeze

In most of the texts I read, they were pretty vague about it and I don't quite understand it. Maybe someone knows more and is willing to help? thanks

Abrac

What is it you want to know exactly? What it is? What it represents? Or both?

The description in The Book of Thoth for this card is excellent; according to Crowley, it symbolizes completion. The house of Matter would fit nicely in this context. He says it (the card) "represents the completion of the Great Work in its highest sense." By this I'm guessing he probably means the inauguration of the New Aeon.

In The Book of Thoth Crowley says, "It (the house of Matter) shows the ninety-two chemical elements arranged according to their rank in hierarchy. (The design is due to the late J.W.N. Sullivan: see The Bases of Modern Science."

In another place he says, "The Fool is the negative issuing into manifestation; the Universe is that manifestation, its purpose accomplished, ready to return."

I don't know how much you're looking for or if that's helpful. I'm sure there are others who can add more.

Abrac

Card 16, The Tower, shows a fire-breathing monster with an iron fist (Crowley says it is the Lord of the Aeon. Aiwass?) smashing the House of God - along with its rigid and artificial rules. Card 21, The Universe, shows the New Aeon and the Law of "Do What Thou Wilt." The house of this aeon is organic and more harmonious with nature.

ravenest

The temple of science

It's (sort of) like the Thelemic 'New Jerusalem'. A wonderful new spiritual city that incorporates the ideals of whatever age, a centre of culture and religion and fantastic architecture, a spiritual city.

In the Thoth case AC has 'designed' the building along the lines of an elemental (in the scientific sense) classification chart. This might have something to do with his ideas on the 'Method of Science, the aim of Religion' philosophy and to show that true magick is an holistic application of scientific principles.

SilentBreeze

This had cleared things up for me a bit. It just seems that there is so much more too it then the little paragraph in the book of thoth and yet I dont know what.

Abrac

If you could get hold of a copy of the book Crowley refers to, The Bases of Modern Science, you would probably find your answer. ABE Books has tons of them very reasonably priced. You may even be able to find one in your local library.

SilentBreeze

Abrac said:
If you could get hold of a copy of the book Crowley refers to, The Bases of Modern Science, you would probably find your answer. ABE Books has tons of them very reasonably priced. You may even be able to find one in your local library.
Thanks Ill try to look it up.