New book on the Thoth tarot?

TallTarotGuy

Hi everyone,

I came across this book on Amazon, and was wondering if anyone here had heard anything about it?

Tarot For The New Aeon (A Practical Guide to the Power and Wisdom of the Thoth Tarot)

by P. C. Tarantino
ISBN 0976618400

I tried searching on Google, Alibris and a couple of other places, and couldn't find any information about the book or author. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

TTG

Cosmotaroist

Try to read the Book of Thoth...I find it far better than any other Thoth related books....

ravenest

Looks like you are going to have to buy it Tall tarot Guy and give us a review.

archer1

Is it possible the book is out of print? I found that entry as well and states "this item is not available"

TallTarotGuy

Well...

I got this in my mail the yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to go through it, but the author states in the introduction that her first exposure to the Thoth was a class taught by James Wanless. The book is divided into different sections, and each card (with picture) is given an upright & reversed interpretation. Another section discusses the symbolism of each card, and then there is another discussing the Qabalah, astrology, etc.

I'm guessing her interpretations are more along the lines of Wanless', Ziegler's, etc. rather than Crowley's (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, in my book). I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing...glad I added it to my collection.

I'm not sure when exactly this book was published. The copyright is 2007, so maybe the publisher made some "advanced" copies? I couldn't locate any information on the web about the author or the publisher (she says her website is www.CommonSenseTarot.com, but it's not up & running). I'll keep those interested posted if I find out anything more.

TTG

Wild Gypsy Moon

Tarot for the New Aeon...

...is available from http://www.commonsensetarot.com/index.htm . I am skeptical, myself, as I usually am of most Tarot books, most especially those which purport to explain Crowley's deck better than he could. (Plus this one advocates the use of card reversals, whereas Crowley did not. That in itself seems a major discreptancy, sufficient in itself for me to spend my book $$ elsewhere.)

~wgm

ravenest

Ah, James Wandless rears his head again. His book on Thoth is called 'New Age Tarot.'

I'd suggest you read some posts here on on Aeon vs. Age. Wandless, to me, seems better suited to comment on something like the Dakini Oracle. His book on Thoth is filled with varient, non-Hermetic, non-Thelemic symbolic New Age interpretation. It's good, if you can just lift what is usefull and translate it into Thelemic terms. I haven't read the work of his students though ... it's possible one of them could have further insight than he did.

archer1

In my own experience on the book of Thoth, which I read through once, is that if you are not familiar with hermetic or thelmic teaching and symbolism it is and was for me hard to grasp. I am however still reading and gleaning things from the book with more and more understanding. Don't leave the BOT on the shelf it is a great source on the Thoth Tarot.

Saburo

I agree wholeheartedly with Archer. BOT is something I've had for about a year now and I read through the entire thing once before and gleaned some information from it. Now I'm rereading it to better understand my cards, and I'm finding references I hadn't noticed before, making connections to different parts, and likewise understanding more and more.

Some things I would suggest looking into if you had the time would be Astrology, I Ching, and perhaps even the Hebrew letters. Of course, a review of the works mentioned by Crowley would be good too. For example, The Book of the Law, Equinox of the Gods, and the dozens of other references he makes.

The Book of Thoth, however, is a masterpiece, IMO, combining ideas from many different regions of the world most notably Kabbalah and the I Ching. It was definitely worth the buy.

archer1

Another source I forgot to mention is Duquettes book Understanding The Crowley Thoth.....It did help me a great deal...