7 of swords -hat

Frindle

I pulled the 7 of swords yesterday as my daily draw card.

The most striking thing to me was that the hat appeared to be missing over

the thief's ear. It is just his hair, but the area felt "exposed" to me. Interestingly,

that part of the brain is concerned with some ethics decisions. The term "god spot"

has been disproven as a theory, but combined with the overall imagery of ethics based on

the 7 of swords, I was wondering if anyone had any take on this idea, or did I just happen

to make the answer fit my inquiry? Thanks for entertaining the idea.

Morgan Le Fei

Interesting

take on the 7 of Swords, Frindle. I was just looking at his hat this morning and what is going on in this card. I never saw his hat as missing a piece but if that is what struck you it seems intuitive and so in reading the card it seems to have merit for you.

I always thought that is just the shape of the hat but even so, that part of his head is still made somewhat prominent.

This card fascinates me. There is so much going on. It appears on the surface that the man is stealing but that is not necessarily the case. Perhaps those swords belong to him and/or his people and he is recovering stolen property. In the distance there are people clustered around a dark cloud of smoke. Are they sharing a meal or cooking up devious plots? The man is turning his head away from them and his only visible eye is closed! Is he "turning a blind eye?" If yes, to what? He certainly looks sneaky. And why doesn't he get cut by the blades that he holds in such an odd way?

I love this card and I believe it is a tarot "blind" that on the surface makes the man look like a thief but I think it's much deeper.

The most interesting symbolism here for me is the hat itself. To me it looks like a fez which were originally worn by Moroccans in protest of the French occupation. So perhaps he is taking back as much as he can of what really belonged to him in the first place.l

Richard

The Golden Dawn title of the card is Lord of Unstable Effort. The Decan is Moon in Aquarius. The instability comes from the influence of the Moon with its continually changing phases. Whatever the guy is doing, I don't think it would be much fun for him if he gets caught. It's a problematic card because of the uncertainty. In fact, I think that Lord of Uncertainty could be an alternate title for the card.

After the Six of Swords, the images get progressively more unpleasant. The Ten obviously hits rock bottom. The main thing about all the Swords is that they are primarily about the Air element, thoughts, mental stuff. The Six is mental uncertainty, but it can get worse that that. What the mind can do to a person can be worse than physical death.

I don't know what to think of the hat that looks like a fez, which apparently has black fur trim, as does his red footwear.

Mary Greer theorizes that the suit of Swords is associated with the Masonic legend of Hiram Abiff, the chief architect for the building of Solomon's Temple, who gets assassinated by some of the workers.

Zephyros

This is an interesting card. Its place on the Tree of Life is just below the ideal idea, what I like to call the Garden of Eden. Six is the number of the ideal plan of creation, before it manifests on Earth. The path that joins six and seven is Death, meaning, in the Swords suit, a fall from balance and perfection, "I used to have it all, but now something is missing." The mind is here unstable, missing some valuable information, not sure of itself, yet remembering better times.

He is stealing five swords, the number of Gevurah, of instability and change and of the Pentagram (containing the four elements plus spirit). Any attempt at rising to the challenge is futile, as there simply isn't enough to go on, unless it is by trickery and falsification, which in themselves are doomed to failure. In fact, Crowley called this card "Futility" and his deck portrays six small swords with planetary attributions attacking a larger seventh sword attributed to the Sun, symbolizing, in my opinion, the pointlessness of the venture. The Sun contains 99.8% of all the mass in the Solar System; all the planets ganging up on it wouldn't bother it in the slightest.

Moon in Aquarius seems castrated somehow, with two unfocused elements that, together with the Sephirotic attribution of Venus, combine to create something with very little energy and "spark."

His hat looks like a fez to me, too, with a fur lining. More interesting, however, is its color, red, the color of Mars and Gevurah.

This isn't a necessarily bad card, but does recall subterfuge, lies and partial information. This area of the Tree portrays the story of the forbidden fruit, and this is possibly where Adam and Eve tried to conceal themselves from God after eating of it. That was obviously a futile gesture. The information that is missing isn't always comfortable; by eating the fruit Adam discovered his own mortality, hard work and the passage of Time. Uncomfortable indeed, as the path joining this card and the Eight is the Tower, as in "you'll find out the truth someday, but you won't like it."