4 cups-luxury

WalesWoman

firemaiden said:
Well, of course the Four of Cups in the Thoth deck is "The Lord of Luxury", the card is subtitled Luxury. It seems you have found a wonderful way to show how the RWS Four of Cups relates to the Thoth Four of Cups. I've always wondered how they could be reconciled.

In the Book of Thoth, Crowley writes (among other things):
[...] Here, below the Abyss, the energy of this element, although ordered, balanced and (for the moment) stabilized, has lost the original purity of the conception. The card refers to the Moon in Cancer, which is her own house, but Cancer itself is so placed that this implies a certain weakness, an abandonment to desire. This tends to introduce the seeds of decay into the fruit of pleasure. [...]​

Personally I have no use for astrogical implications, but I revel in the poetic language, the "loss of purity", by introduction of "... the seeds of decay into the fruit of pleasure" -- the image is sexual (duh). The sense of "decay" - makes me think of the morning after. I guess this is the perfect card to follow upon the two and three of cups. The morning after the de-purifying lovemaking and partying. Arf arf.
YAY! I was trying to figure out what 4 Cups meant for "What I need to enjoy more of." I like this better than pondering my options... that was all I could think of for this card.