Tarot of Dreams – Seven of Swords

bershka

Hi,

I am somehow having trouble understanding why this man with his eyes closed is resting against the wall?

What's really interesting is that he is completely covered in this purple tight outfit with stars and moons and he has two swords tucked under his arm while three swords fall on his back as he is resting against the wall.

Since the card mostly consists of the colour purple, I have the impression of royalty, mysticism or spirituality. This man is trying to sneakily run away from the palace with his two swords but in the process, 3 swords fall against this back. I look at his facial expression and he is in asleep, being in peace! It's kinda awkward to fall asleep or rest in that position :laugh:

In my opinion, the reason why he is resting is because he achieved what he wanted in his trick to steal those two swords (whatever he really desired as a thief) and in his mind, he lives in an illusion where he thinks everything is peaceful, when in fact chaos or trouble could happen any time in the future (represented by two swords in the element of fire). The fact that this tight purple clothing he is wearing matches the colour of the wall, he is "camouflaged" and thinks no one can catch him.

Vadella

He feels he deserves what he has (has gone to get) and doesn't care if anyone catches him, hence him having his eyes closed and taking a break.

Faolainn Storm

I find it interesting that you see his eyes as closed. To me his eyes are open, but he is looking down and behind him, therefore you can't see his eyes.

I see the three swords on his back as being strapped to his back, and along with the two swords under his arm he is climbing the walls of the castle stealing the swords. He is looking behind for pursuit, hoping to get out of the castle before the guards notice the missing swords. Or he is climbing up the wall inside the castle, to get at those last two swords in the window behind him.

Or perhaps he is climbing back into the castle replacing the swords that he previously "borrowed". And therefore he is looking over his shoulder, watching where he is going and trying not to be caught returning the stolen swords. In this case the two swords in the window behind him are the first that he has returned and he is now climbing back down to replace the other five.

The stars, suns and moon on his suit suggest that he is representing the non-human forces of the universe. So the theft/return is not a human level occurance, but is being prompted by forces outside the control of humanity. The word "Nemesis" comes to mind, that force (in Greek mythology) of divine retribution, the distributor of fortune, neither good nor bad, simply in due proportion to each according to his "just deserts". The thief (if he is stealing the swords), may be doing it because the owner, the lord or king, is a tyrant, and the swords represent his misuse of justice. It may be a rebalancing of the scales of truth/justice, by taking five and leaving two - relating back to the two of swords.

This idea could be continued with the idea that his eyes are closed. The woman in the two of swords is wearing a blindfold, so the ideas of choice/ blind justice. And as the thief represents these non-human forces he doesn't need to look for guards, he is protected. Therefore he can relax on while climbing the wall. No-one will see him.

Faolainn Storm

bershka

To Vadella, thank you for sharing your thought ;)

xoxo

To Faolainn Storm,

How interesting that you see him with his eyes open looking behind him! I can see that as a possibility :D

I enjoyed reading your interpretation and I never thought of him climbing the wall to return the swords he has stolen.

Thank you so much for sharing your own insights, it has further developed my understanding of this card :)