Best Tarot Books

Water Lady

Based on this discussion I bought "Tarot tells the tale" by Ricklefs, "A magical course in Tarot" by M Morgan, and "The complete Tarot reader" by T Michelsen.
I have read a bit of all and am very pleased with them so far. I am especially enjoying Ricklefs book, that is fun reading as well as learning.

daphne

Nan said:
Based on this discussion I bought "Tarot tells the tale" by Ricklefs, "A magical course in Tarot" by M Morgan, and "The complete Tarot reader" by T Michelsen.
I have read a bit of all and am very pleased with them so far. I am especially enjoying Ricklefs book, that is fun reading as well as learning.

Also got "The complete tarot reader" after reading the reviews, but had a great disappointment, nothing really new there for me. I guess it is really a beginner book.

daphne

Freddie said:
'Tarot of the Bohemians'- Papus (The best book ever written about The tarot in my opinion)

Freddie

Hi Freddie,

Could you please say something more about this book, why do you consider it the best book? Is it for beginners or advanced (I am looking for more advanced books, above general introductions)?

gregory

I will chip in and say that one is HELLISH hard work.....

daphne

gregory said:
I will chip in and say that one is HELLISH hard work.....

What do you mean?

Freddie

Gregory is right is not an 'easy' read. I have found it to be an invaluable Tarot resource. I'm no expert, but I do not think it would hurt anyone who is studying/learning the Tarot to read 'Bohemians'.

I have read on here that Arthur E.Waite did the translation from French to English for this book and this pretty much explains why it may be hard to read. Waites' 'Pictorial Key' is a must read in my humble opinion, but his style is not of an easy flowing prose type.

I surmize I feel it is the best book on Tarot, because I come to the Tarot with a Rosicrucian type of vision and I feel it was the the first 'respected' book written about Tarot (maybe this is wrong??? I don't know). I would choose this book without a doubt over the Waite or Crowley books, but that it just my single opinion.... read them all and decide for yourself (s).

Here you can read 'Tarot of the Bohemians' online:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/tob/index.htm

Have fun and enjoy!!!!

Freddie

gregory

He said it better than I did :)

daphne

Freddie said:
Gregory is right is not an 'easy' read. I have found it to be an invaluable Tarot resource. I'm no expert, but I do not think it would hurt anyone who is studying/learning the Tarot to read 'Bohemians'.

I have read on here that Arthur E.Waite did the translation from French to English for this book and this pretty much explains why it may be hard to read. Waites' 'Pictorial Key' is a must read in my humble opinion, but his style is not of an easy flowing prose type.

I surmize I feel it is the best book on Tarot, because I come to the Tarot with a Rosicrucian type of vision and I feel it was the the first 'respected' book written about Tarot (maybe this is wrong??? I don't know). I would choose this book without a doubt over the Waite or Crowley books, but that it just my single opinion.... read them all and decide for yourself (s).

Here you can read 'Tarot of the Bohemians' online:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/tob/index.htm

Have fun and enjoy!!!!

Freddie

Pff, you put me in delicate situation, now I`m between reading this or Paul Huson`s. Which one to read first?:)

gregory

daphne said:
Pff, you put me in delicate situation, now I`m between reading this or Paul Huson`s. Which one to read first?:)
Huson. No contest. The other will be FAR easier afterwards.

greatdane

Gregory, Daphne, Freddie

I was wondering, how did everyone decide which "vision" of tarot to go with when choosing a book? I mean even those authors who choose a specific system like RWS often have different takes on the cards, so what made you choose the books and authors you did?