Universal Fantasy - The Hanged Man

dancing_moon

The Hanged Man is hanging literally in the air here, with a phoenix-like bird holding the rope that's around his ankle. The situation is quite ambiguous - is the bird saving him, or is he about to die? Perhaps, it's both, as the phoenix symbolizes death and resurrection, sacrificing yourself for the future good.

The Hanged Man is 'high' in the sky - be it divine ecstasy, dying for a lofty cause, or addiction, inability to move forward, the drunken 'paradise' giving an illusion of ultimate happiness - the word 'high' is becoming to any of these. Being immobilized by his strange position, the Hanged Man is unable to make choices, but help comes from outside to set him free. Perhaps, his 'high' state offers more than it seems. Maybe, through this state, he can summon forces outside human control.

KristinCali

To me this hanged man seems more sinister and miserable than other RW hanged men. His face is totally miserable, his eyes appear to be rolled back, his hands appear to be tied behind him. I feel like he is being punished for something. I don't think the bird is saving him. I wish I had more input but this card is really confusing me.

etherealtarot

This card came up for me in a past life reading. I asked what the main issue was in my life and The Hanged Man appeared. I agree with KC, he does look very miserable. Seeing this card, at first, was very frightening.

But the way I interpreted it.. was that... in my past life, I gave up. I let go. I sacrificed the things I loved to do. I sacrificed what gave me pleasure to fit in, per say.. Like living a certain way because your family is religious.

In the photo, the bird seems to be controlling the man. Taking him away from what once made him happy, and now, it is obvious he is sad. He looks so worn out but he's still living. His eyes are blank but he hasn't completely fallen. He isn't dead yet.

To me, this card could very well be depicting depression. The bird can stand for someone else that is causing the depression, or simply, the bird can be our subconscious mind. Holding us captive.