Has anyone ever confronted you over reading in public?

53rdspirit

About seven or so years ago I was in the hospital and was told by the nursing supervisor that my tarot cards (Albano-Waite) were "scaring the other patients" and that I had to leave them at the front desk in the nursing station during my stay. Needless to say, I was surprised --not only because I thought we were not still living in the middle ages but because the only time I took them out was in the privacy of my own room, by myself. I kept them to myself because when I take them out in public, people always want me to read for them and I wasn't feeling up to it. Someone must have seen me as I sat on my bed looking at the cards as they walked by my room --I never took them out into the public area.

Anyway, I handed over my tarot cards and just took one of the free playing card decks that were laying all over the visitors room and were given to all the patients --and simply taught myself to read with those (with a combination of numerology and RWS iconography in my head) during my hospital stay --and no one knew the better.

nisaba

Chiriku said:
I know some here read for themselves or for others in very "naked" locales such as busy cafes and train dining cars.

Has anyone ever come up to you and expressed disapproval?
Once or twice. But that was over a period of very many years and very many readings, so I'd have to say "hardly at all".

Chiriku said:
Did a waiter or shopkeeper ever tell you it wasn't allowed in their cafe/establishment?
<shocked> I'll occasionally read for people at a cafe if we've gone in for a coffee and I pull out a deck, but as to putting out signage and booking a whole day's worth of readings, you'd just never do that without the owner's permission and giving them a negotiated cut of your take. (Would you? I wouldn't.)

Chiriku said:
What did you say to them? If you had a sitter with you, how did s/he react?
Can't remember. I think I'm really good at smiling politely and suggesting that if they have a problem, they might like to remove themselves.

celticnoodle

starrystarrynight said:
I won't, either. Denny's has been cited as recently as the '90's in law suits over racial discrimination, which I think is an abomination...I haven't eaten in one since before this case occurred:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/25/u...illion-in-race-bias-suits.html?pagewanted=all

Edited to add:

But back to topic, I've drawn a crowd at places like Starbucks, but nothing has ever been said.
I remember this vividly too. it angered me to the point of not going there anymore as well, and I was a regular at Denny's.

Lark, I think you handled it rather well--but too bad you didn't know about the religious part of the tarot--at least know of it well enough to recite this to that manager--LOUDLY, so the bible readers would hear of it too.

I saw on the history channel last night, a documentary on tarot cards, and there was one part that spoke of a man who took a deck of tarot cards into the Mass at a Catholic church with him. he looked at the cards, one by one, while Mass was being said, and the priest came up to him to reprimand him, when the man explained the cards and their religious affiliation to the Catholic teachings. unfortunately, because i was eating dinner in the dining room, i cannot recall all that was said on this. darn! but, they did go through all the cards--the Majors maybe?---explaining the full religious meaning of each card, based on the Catholic faith. :D

I was overheard speaking of my 'abilities' to my friends with whom I worked. I worked at the time in the Catholic Church office. lol! the priest is the one who overheard me and threatened to excommunicate me if I didn't 'throw all that stuff away at once!" :rolleyes: I never did throw it away--none of it, but I also was a bit more careful of what we spoke about when he was near.

another time, i was reading for a friend/client when i drove her to the hospital for a test. we had a chair between us that was used for a table, adn I spread the cards out there telling her what the cards were giving to me. a nurse walked by asking what game we were playing when my friend told her, "we're not playing a game! she is a card reader, and she's reading my fortune! and she's good at it too!!!" :p

I had no need to say anything, my friend/client took very good care of it herself. we got a few stares and the nurse was taken aback a bit, but it was a priceless moment in my 'career' of reading cards. :laugh:

DevilishAngel and Chiska, I went all through Catholic schools too. at the time tho, I never tried to read fortunes, though many of my catholic friends knew my mother was a card reader and a psychic reader. they knew because many of those friends had relatives, (mostly their mothers) who frequented my mother for business! :p my mother also worked at the school as the librarian for about 30yrs. :laugh: I don't think the nuns ever caught on, but probably close to 50% of the parents of children attending that school knew - if not supported my mothers "part time job". :p

heck, my mother often took us girls (my sisters and I) to a card reading house in the city for readings and lunch. mom would never read for us herself. it was a sort of 'rule' not to read for family within my family. a rule that was broken by me. my family use to be my best customers! lol! :p

53rdspirit--your story is very funny! very good move on your part too!!! :thumbsup: :p

lark

celticnoodle said:
Lark, I think you handled it rather well--but too bad you didn't know about the religious part of the tarot--at least know of it well enough to recite this to that manager--LOUDLY, so the bible readers would hear of it too.
Ah, I think that would have been totally lost on him.

Sinduction

In some places, Denny's in particular, it is illegal to use playing cards because they also serve alcoholic beverages. Even during the hours that they do not serve said beverages. My friend managed one out here years ago. Anyway, it was something about gambling and liquor in our state. It is surely a corporate rule, probably meant to keep people from staying there hours on end, which is quite common at the ones out here where there is nothing else to do. They had time limits for awhile, not sure if they still do. He allowed a group of us to read in their back room if people were around.

I'm not sure if the law has changed since I read at a real bar now.

But, to answer the original question, tarot is not looked down upon where I am and I stay away from Catholic/Christian places for the most part so I've yet to really have anyone say anything to me. I'd probably laugh in their face out of shock. :D

nejigurlmimi

DevilishAngel said:
Oh gosh! I went to a Catholic school, if I did that they would have probably got a priest and taken me to the chapel and dipped me in holy water :laugh: No offense to any Catholics :D
lol well i went to a public school and yeah couple of my classmates decided to yell out devil cards in front of the other students and the teacher. which after having a heated debate about my tarot cards i got send to the deans office ._.; she pretty much told me not to bring out anything that might represent my religion (Wiccan), which tarot is not for a particular religion. Then i told her i would sue her because people can bring bibles into class but i can't have tarot cards or anything that might show my religion! that's bullpocky. :D

Shade

A few times but never in an especially antagonistic way. Once by a very nice and patient Christian, once by a frayed and nervous psychic woman, but mostly by atheists who ask "Do you really believe in those"

Pro-tip: if you just say "No" they don't have anything to argue about.

Oh and Lark that sounded like a very annoying experience. If you want to tell us which Denny's we can write a few upset letters.... possibly including dried bats or something ;-)

nisaba

Shade said:
.... possibly including dried bats or something ;-)
That presupposes that bats in your part of the world are patient enough to stand still enough to be towelled down ...

lark

Shade said:
Oh and Lark that sounded like a very annoying experience. If you want to tell us which Denny's we can write a few upset letters.... possibly including dried bats or something ;-)
Thank you Shade, you're my hero...:) they would probably throw the dried bat in with the omelets they definitely are lacking that little something extra.

Glitterbird

I've had laughter and snickering. I would have rather had hostility I could have thought of a snappy come-back for that.}) But laughter? I asked if they wanted a reading...made them laugh harder.