Universal Fantasy Study Group - Three of Chalices

Rede Seeker

This card has 'spooked' me since I first saw it. How are other users of Universal Fantasy Tarot reacting to it?

It appears that someone is conjuring Spirits from the Chalices on an altar. Are they Muses or Daemons? Is the Conjurer the Magician? The background looks scorced/sterile while the white light and crimson/purple vapors around the Three Daemons indicate heat and passion - did they scorch the earth when they were summoned or was the area like that to begin with?

The LWB says 'The great romantic and artistic passions must be ruled by reason and the advice of those who share our destiny'.

A different slant from the more traditional celebration and joy interpretation.

thorhammer

Yes, it is different, but it works in with the traditional meaning of working with others to create something, and tapping into a collective creative fount. I don't get the creeps with this image, but it is a great deal . . . weightier than the usual fare, isn't it?

I do look at the conjurer as the Magician, but also (incorporating the LWB meaning) the Emperor and the Heirophant. I like that there's a man on this card, as it's usually so feminine. One could look at it like he's subjugating the Muses, but I don't think so. I really see willing cooperation, as well as a certain wildness that bespeaks spontaneity and . . . the kind of potential for the unexpected that will bring great results. I think it's brought a nice balance to a card that, while usually welcome, I've always struggled with because of its overly feminine connotations.

It's a great deal more powerful than most other 3-Chalices/Cups images I've seen, with those swirling clouds of vapour and power, the light bursting out of nowhere, the three altars so deliberatly yet haphazardly arranged. I haven't the card in front of me - I'm at work - do the altars bear much resemblance to the one in the Magician card? I seem to remember a symbol . . . stupid brain! Not working. I'll get back to you on this one. But I like the link with the Magician, bringing the masculine power of the "making it happen" card to the benevolent possibilities and infinite giving of the 3 of Chalices. I think it works nicely.

This deck pushes so many boundaries, and it's really opening my eyes to the links between the different cards. I have to make more time for the study of its symbolism.

\m/ Kat

BrightEye

Roiling passions always pops into my mind when I see this card. I never knew what to make of the magician.

Queen of Disks

I'm not sure what this magician was trying to summon, but I have a feeling he got more then he bargained for and is now in over his head. These female spirits are going to give him a run for his money! })

Lithargoel

I do get the idea that this is a skilled summoner or magician of some kind.
Look at the positions of the arms and hands - seems very, "Come forth!"

You guys (and gals) are talking about the summoner as if it is a man...
but take a closer look. He/she is hooded! I see no distinctive suggestion
of either gender, so it could be male or female... if female, then this card
is dominated by even more women than the RWS version!

The heat, warmth, light and sensuality of this card all contribute to a very
heavy, almost seductive energy. If the summoning figure is male, you can
imagine that he must be in heaven right now, LOL. Perhaps they are dancing
for him? Maybe he has summoned them to perform for his pleasure?
Why are their eyes covered? Are they bound to the summoner or are they
here of their own free will?

To me they look as though they are dancing in unison for the pleasure of the
summoner (which I do actually think is probably a male, as high magic and
summoning in general does tend to be a very masculine, patriarchal branch of
magic).

Very interesting card. Can't wait for it to come up in a reading so I can see
how it will fit in to the rest of the spread, meaning-wise.

DreamGhost

My impression of the card was that the figures were dancing and partying, apparently at the request or happenstance of the magician figure. I thought: Party on! One has to be careful who they summon at a party, though, lest he/she might be in for a party they'll never forget! (but will want to).

Looking over the Chalices group, I noted the Queen of Chalices has a chalice with some mystical smoke arising from it. The Chalices in general seems to give off this Magical Kingdom vibe to me, where all its inhabitants are magic practioners. Somehow, the 3 of Chalices seems to be the height of this even though it may seem frivolous to summon some figures for dancing.

etherealtarot

Hi :)

I'm new here and I was just looking through the UF study group and I just had to say I actually love this card. In my opinion, it's one of the best representations of the 3 of cups. I feel like the UF shows a very passionate encounter. I feel like the women in the photo were meant to be together.. they're all intertwined.. and they just fit.

The last time I got this card, I was asking how my night was going to be.. Turns out, it was amazing. I had a great time. I was hanging out with a different crowd but I felt like I had known them for ever. It was definitely fun and I felt like I belonged even though these people weren't my usual go to's. We're all much closer now.

Just thought I'd chime in. Have a great day!