Giving a deck a chance

Julian Jaymes

I have had decks for ages and only connected with some of them years later. My Linestrider I bought because it was trendy, and I hated it...and just this week I have fallen passionately in love with it.

My Art Nouveau tarot I hung onto because I liked the pictures, though I couldn't read it at all. Spent a month or so in intensive study with it, and now it's one of my favorites.

I had my Nature's Whispers Oracle for Goddess-only-knows how long, I don't even remember buying it...and now I use it to draw an affirmation card for nearly every reading I do.

I know it can be frustrating. Decks (for most of us) aren't exactly cheap, and some are downright pricey. But I also know that I am SO glad that I kept these decks.

Honestly, I had posted a sale thread for a couple of mine and after reading this thread, I think I'm gonna have it closed...because writing all this has reminded me how much I love my Linestrider and my Art Nouveau and my Nature's Whispers, and who knows, maybe I'll grow to like my FS decks too. :)

~Jules

Carojulie

It's true that decks are pricey..... and it is too bad when a deck doesn't get used.

BUT !
Sometimes, you really get to suddenly fall in with love a deck that you have had for a long time, and thought you did not connect with (it has JUST happened to me, and it is not the first time)

So, I would say, like many other members on this thread have said : give it some time, maybe years why not ? A deck is not a big item to stock, and you never know when you will start to love it. Or, when you will realise that, really, you dont like it, and it will still be time to pass it along and make someone else happy.

I have several times heard people say : I wanted to declutter so I got rid of this deck, and now I regret it. Sometimes even : I had to buy this deck again, I missed it so much !

I really do not like having decks that I do not use, so I also understand the urge to just pass it on.
But, for me, not all decks have to be used in reading, as long as they are used one way or another. For example I have the Mary-El that I do not read with (yet) but I find the cards so beautiful that I just enjoy looking at the art on the cards, for the sake of gettin my eyes full. I also have the Thoth that I do not read with really, but keep for study sake.

I have a box where I put all my "meh" decks, and I love to rummage through it from time to time. It is like a treasure chest, and decks can go from "meh" to "love" sometimes !

Recently I have rediscovered a deck that was in the "meh" pile, it's the Hudes tarot. I dont even understand how I ever thought it was a "meh" deck ! It is so beautiful. I am angry at myself for not seing its beauty sooner. I rediscovered it thanks to Katey Flower's youtube videos. And now I am so happy that I kept this deck safely in a corner of my mind, so that today I can appreciate it fully (thank you Katey Flowers :) )

And, by the way, I second Nemia : The Tarot Kaizen book (Alison Cross) and The Tarot Playbook (Lynda Cowles) are brilliant.
As is searching the net and Youtube for reviews of your deck, made by people who are wholeheartedly into it. Sometimes if will help you start webbing a bond with your deck. The "Enable thread" of the forum is helpful too.

And if, after all, nothing goes and you really feel it is not for you.... Ok then, it will make someone else happy !

I see that you have decided to give the Ghost tarot a second chance :) which is good, but all this thread is good to keep for any other deck about which you, or someone else, might feel ambivalent !
Good luck :)

MizGrace

well The Ghost Tarot is right up my street I find it quite charming.They look very tastefully done and the ghost holding the chalice is magical! I have this issue very strongly with a deck I brought home with me and insisted on buying medievel scapini because it was there to be bought for a few pounds. as it was infront of me I thought I can work with this.Yet in all honesty I dont look deep at each image and take the time to really allow the cards the love and time they deserve. Are you putting in time and effort to go over these cards? or are you glossing over them and leaving them to one side? what is it about them that you don't like?

dont stress over it, someone told me on the forum to put them to one side if you really cant connect or sit down and study card by card slowly? perhaps you are going to fast over a card? I have the habit of just skim reading.
I think you have some excellent advice on here from members much more advanced than myself. I am now buying books to sit and do the same thing, I am waiting for those to arrive to force myself to engage deeper with the meanings and cards.I know putting in the effort can be boring if its symbols and astrological meanings those parts to me drive me mad trying to memorise. Yet once I start delving in I get that Ah-Ha! feeling and it's nice learning new things.

all the best

MizGrace

Trogon

I do have to admit that I have had a couple of decks which I ended up passing on. One, the Victoria Regina, was great ... I loved the theme and the artwork, but for some reason I could just never read with it. I tried my various tricks and none worked. So, I ended up selling that one so it could go to someone who could read with it. My other one was the Unicorn Tarot, it was just ... blah. I traded it to a friend who felt the same way about her Dragon Tarot. She now gets to frolic with Unicorns and I have the power of the Dragons!

Fortunately, I do not regret either of these. The decks just didn't feel special to me and now I have other decks that do. Sometimes it works out that way.

This doesn't count The Universal Waite. I'm now on my 3rd copy of that because I've gifted them to friends who have wanted to start learning, but didn't know where to start. But I love reading with the deck, so every time I give one away, I replace it.

magicjack

I know this thread isn't exactly about the Ghost tarot but I did want to mention the minute I ordered it I felt I had made a mistake. I think this is a cool deck! It's nice and dark and is beautiful. The LWB is not the most useful, the Pages could have been a bit more creative bit this is really a great looking deck for people that like things dark. The backs are beautiful. And you were going to get rid of it! I'm glad you took a 2nd look. If it hadn't been for you I would have past it up. Thanks for bringing it up.