How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kalliope

Tarot rhymes with sparrow..

Yep, that's how I say it. I picked TEAR-oh in the poll. Tear like tearing your pants, not like shedding a tear.

Yep, this is what I picked! Although I have to say that when I see TEAR I first think "tears in your eyes" before I realize it means "tear the paper into shreds."

That's why I kept spelling it TARE or TAIR, no homographs to confuse!

Shade

I definitely say Tear-oh but I wish I was badass enough to say TAY-roh cards like the fabulous gypsy fortunetellers in classic cinema. Usually it takes about 6 seconds to fully pronounce and it's worth it.

swimming in tarot

barrow, harrow, marrow, narrow, pharaoh, sparrow, tarot--this list rhymes for me
I didn't vote in the poll, because I don't know whether by TAR-oh you mean TA-roh, or TAR, like tarring the road.

kalliope

barrow, harrow, marrow, narrow, pharaoh, sparrow, tarot--this list rhymes for me
I didn't vote in the poll, because I don't know whether by TAR-oh you mean TA-roh, or TAR, like tarring the road.

For these rhymes, the one you want is "TEAR-oh. " :) Vote!

-- "tear" as in "to tear, rip, or shred" and rhyming with "bare/bear"
-- NOT "tears in your eyes" as in crying or rhyming with "ears" ;)

The crowned one

I think it morphed over the years from "tear-it" to "tear-o"

I like "tear-it" best but only think it, I say tear-o

firecatpickles

"te-ROW" is what I say most of the time, ala Zappa...

However, more times than naught, this is usually followed by the "tarot-rhymes-with sparrow" clarification, because no one knows what the hell I just said.

celticnoodle

TEAR-oh but not the crying kind

I want to make a tarot deck with a carrot theme.

The CAH-roh tah-ROT.
:laugh:

Tarot rhymes with sparrow..

yep! this is how I say it. My ex-boss at the new age shop always said TAR - oh . She was the first person I ever heard saying it differently--except those who didn't know how to pronounce the word and mistakenly said tar-ot. (tar like bar) and then ot.

Sulis

2nd one - Tarot to rhyme with sparrow..