Westcott's pre-GD tarot sketches

Abrac

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I found these descriptions of tarot sketches made by W. W. Westcott c.1886. It's interesting to see where he was prior to the formation of the GD. Anyone know if the sketches themselves can be seen, on the web or a published source?

http://green-door.narod.ru/west-tarot.html

Abrac

That's awesome. From those you can get an idea of what they look like at least. :)

Babalon Jones

Interesting how the solar twins are in a square walled garden of sorts.

Babalon Jones

The handwritten notes on each side referencing the four worlds are interesting too, only they are maddeningly hard to read on this device!

Abrac

I agree the four worlds are interesting. The smaller pics from Twitter are very hard to read. I made a chart and filled in everything I could make out, maybe someone else can fill in some of the blanks. I find it humorous that "Marriage" is included in the Hanged Man, alongside "Crucifixion" and "Judas the Traitor." I'm sure he meant it in a higher sense though. It looks like the Hanged Man has something written on the two bags, though I can't figure it out.

http://s19.postimg.org/5o898z0cj/Westcott_Table.jpg

Babalon Jones

Cool, thanks for doing that! I will try to print some out later; maybe some of them (the upside down ones, especially) will be easier to read.

I think I might be able to fill in one of them you had a question mark on. The Hanged Man, under "Crucifixion and Marriage" I think it says "the Adept bound by his enjoyements" (sp) Maybe, anyway. Might be "engagements" but I think it the former despite the misspelling.

gregory

It appears to read GOLD on both.

ETA on both bags - I was crosssposted.

gregory

Cool, thanks for doing that! I will try to print some out later; maybe some of them (the upside down ones, especially) will be easier to read.

I think I might be able to fill in one of them you had a question mark on. The Hanged Man, under "Crucifixion and Marriage" I think it says "the Adept bound by his enjoyements" (sp) Maybe, anyway. Might be "engagements" but I think it the former despite the misspelling.
I'm with you there. (I have cleaned them up a bit in photoshop...)

Star - intellectual - says seventeen.

Hanged Man -Terrestrial - the Prima Materia. The Saturn. (Hebrew word)
The great work accomplished. Something that could be a missspelt Teheuti.

Sun - I think the missing word may be symbolism ?