Pamela smith question

starchild

Pamela Smith question

hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows if PCS was ever married or in a serious relationship, in the bit of research i have done on her i havent ever found any talk of a partner but i have seen hints around there was a lover?
ive heard no mention of children so i just assume she didnt have any, would that be correct?

thanks for any replys.

starchild

thanks AJ for the link, but i did read this link before i asked the question and i found no mention of any men in her life? did i miss it maybe?. i spent some time on that site reading and looking around. but maybe i missed what was written in frount of me?

Teheuti

starchild said:
hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows if PCS was ever married or in a serious relationship
I've never heard of any marriage or partnership, other than her living with a woman friend at the time she died.

Mary

starchild

thanks for the replys. ive hunted around the net a bit more and still have not heard of any partners for her.

frelkins

Pixie was a devout Catholic for much of her life. She may have been celibate since she never married. Altho' some people have made suggestions about her living with another lady later in life, we have to note that at one time this was quite common and implied nothing about one's sexuality.

Altho' associated with the theater company, Pixie seems to have been rather an upper-middle class girl and rather proper in her outlook. She may have felt a moral obligation to be a correct late Victorian/Edwardian-style spinister. In light of Pixie's known beliefs, I would not speculate, as I think it would offend her sensibilities. If that makes any sense. . . ;)

roppo

I'm now reading a magazine article "Why do so many women no longer marry?" (The Lady's Realm, May,1903). Many wrote a number of views or opinions about the issue but the one I found really interesting is this :

"Because in England women are far more numerous than men. Threre are, we are told, about five women to one man in this country, so polygamy being forbidden by law, it is obvious there are not enough husbands to go round. A very large class of women would gladly marry and have homes of thier own, could they meet with a congenial personality who would make them an offer. But many never get the chance. There are thousands of sweet and charming women belonging to the best bred and best educated classes of Society who have never received an offer of marriage, and when we remember the scarcity of men in the country districts this is easily accounted for."

Five women to one man?! If it's true, perhaps PCS simply failed to find a man and remained single throughout her life. By the way this magazine contains an illustration of PCS, which is the reason I'm reading it.

Teheuti

roppo said:
I'm now reading a magazine article "Why do so many women no longer marry?" (The Lady's Realm, May,1903). Many wrote a number of views or opinions about the issue but the one I found really interesting is this :

"Because in England women are far more numerous than men.
I wrote about this in Women of the Golden Dawn. Victorian women had a lot of issues to deal with - of which this was only one. Articles actually called these unmarried women "redundant" and they questioned what was to be done with them. WWI and the great flu didn't help matters much for the following generation.

Tansy

The link about Pamela Coleman Smith was fascinating, thank you so much for it.

moderndayruth

Tansy said:
The link about Pamela Coleman Smith was fascinating, thank you so much for it.
Yes indeed :) Thank you, AJ!