Pamela smith question

re-pete-a

Yep, likewise, Thanks AJ .

Professor X

What amazes me about her is that she never could have guessed how
much influence her artwork would have on the occult world.
She never lived to see her creation become the success it has become.
In her lifetime she didnt really reap the benefits of her gifts but future generations have done so.

Nevada

AJ said:
some good information here
http://home.comcast.net/~pamela-c-smith/bio.html
and a better image than the one usually attached to her info.
AJ, thanks so much for that link. I've been to that site before but somehow missed that bio, and it's the most comprehensive I've seen yet.
Teheuti said:
I wrote about this in Women of the Golden Dawn. Victorian women had a lot of issues to deal with - of which this was only one. Articles actually called these unmarried women "redundant" and they questioned what was to be done with them. WWI and the great flu didn't help matters much for the following generation.
There's something so sad about that word "redundant" applied to any human being. I sometimes forget how far we've come in a few decades, and yet there are still pockets of society that our culture seems to treat as redundant.

Pixie Smith, from what I've read of her, seems on one hand naive and innocent, and on another very wise and true to herself. I admire her a lot, and go through this periodic fascination with her (though her deck isn't one of my favorites) that sends me searching for more information about her on the internet. There's a sad, lonely thread, and a feeling that she was repeatedly let down by people she thought were friends, that seems to run through her life. But, as that biography says, I wouldn't call her a failure by any means. She lived her life her way, and I can't help but respect and admire her for that. That last thirty or so years of her life remains a mystery. I hope she found peace and joy in them.

Teheuti

Melinda Parsons gave a talk and slide presentation on PCS at the October San Francisco Bay Area Tarot Symposium (BATS). She cleared up a lot of the confusion about Pixie's life.

There's no reason to think that she led a "sad life." She had many friends in the arts, theatre and suffrage communities. Melinda presented photographs suggesting that several (in addition to Ellen Terry) had been models for some of the Court Cards.

First person reminiscences of her later years in Cornwall (south coast of England) recounted that she was very jolly (what other word for someone very short and heavy) and well-liked in the community.

It seems that the woman with whom she was living when she died had, with her husband, been the household staff at the priest's retreat. When her husband died, she and Pixie continued to live together.

There's no indication that Pixie was adopted, of mixed race or lesbian (although several of her friends were).

Sorry I don't remember more of the details of Melinda's talk - I don't want to get anything wrong and start more unfounded rumors.

I was just reading the biography of Frances Yates (wrote Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition). And the biographer wrote that she found a statistic that after the war (1917) there was only about 1 man for every 10 women—among those who were coming of age then. From around 1914 most of the young men had left to join up.

Le Fanu

Teheuti said:
Melinda presented photographs suggesting that several (in addition to Ellen Terry) had been models for some of the Court Cards
ooh... interesting. Any mention of which ones?

Teheuti

Le Fanu said:
ooh... interesting. Any mention of which ones?
Melinda told us the names and lots of interesting details but I didn't take notes on those specifics. There was a lot of material and great images so I just soaked it all in. Sorry.

She theorizes, based on photos of actresses in male roles or roles like Joan of Arc and Rosalind, that several of the knights were based on these women (who were also her friends).