Updating and Revamping RWS Forum Index

tigerlily

Is it possible to have a list of books that deal with the system of the RW deck? I don't mean the psychological, describe-what-you-see-in-the-card method of working with the deck, but the way its creators used it. I realize that although I learned to read with the Rider-Waite, I have no idea what's the occult philosophy behind it, or how they did their readings. Since this subforum is for RW study, a reference to some books would be so helpful.

Or is there already a subsection in the book index? Then you could just link there (I just think, if you want to study the RW, you'd look here first, and probably won't think of searching for the book index - I didn't, which is why I started this post...)

rwcarter

tigerlilly,

Sorry but I only just saw your post. I'm not sure though what kind of books you're talking about. Since it's a Golden Dawn deck, are you talking about books about the Golden Dawn? I think that would cover the philosophy behind the deck. I'm could be wrong, but I don't believe the creators used the deck for readings. And if I'm understanding you correctly, then the types of books you're talking about would be on more of an advanced level, right?

So a list of books like I think you're describing would be housed in the Tarot Books & Media section. But they aren't specifically called out as being books for going in depth with the RWS. The index I'm working on (and it's going slowly) is of the posts in this forum. If books are mentioned in posts, those will be indexed. If folks want to contribute to a list of resources for going in depth with the deck, I'd be happy to compile that together.

Rodney

Cerulean

Index of threads under specific names such as Pamela Colman Smith and Arthur Edward Waite?

How about for example a list of posts about Pamela Colman Smith under a header name of Pamela Colman Smith?

For example the "New Picture of PCS" thread would be in that list.

Hope that is a good example. Maybe someone or others can help Rodney or the moderators start with a list of links for recent 2010 posts and work backwards under PCS name or Arthur Waite's and post it somewhere? Would that help?

Hope that is clear.

Cerulean

rwcarter said:
I'm in the process of updating and revamping the RWS Forum Index. Right now it just contains info on the Minors and Courts, and a discussion group index. My goal is to have an index by card (Magician, 7 Pentacles, Queen Wands, etc) and to have another index by symbol (rose, horse, color, etc). I hope to have the revised index completed (and hopefully posted) by 3 Jan 2010.

Is there anything else folks would like to either see in the index or see an index for?

rwcarter, Moderator of Rider-Waite-Smith

rwcarter

Hi Cerulean,

Yes, there will be a larger Miscellaneous section under which there will be sub-sections for threads that discuss A.E. Waite, PCS, different editions of the deck, etc.

I hadn't really given any thought as to how I'd arrange the indexed threads within a topic. Chronological might work as long as I did it by thread creation date. If I do it by threads that are recently posted to, then in 6 months that list may very well need to be re-organized. :) I guess the other option is alphabetical by thread title. When I get closer to that point, I'll see what makes sense.

I had hoped to make some serious progress on this effort when I was on staycation the last two weeks of May, but I got sick near the end of the first week and was pretty much out of commission the rest of the time. I'm a little more than halfway done going through the 706 threads (as of when I'm typing this) in the forum. Progress is still slow though. But I haven't given up or forgotten about this!

Rodney

rwcarter

I never thought this day would arrive, but I have now indexed all of the threads in this forum through 10 Sep 10! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

And Excel is my friend in this instance because I was able to use the concatenate feature to prepopulate the VB Code for links to the threads. Now I just have to figure out how to arrange everything.

I will hopefully get to start the new index early next week, although it will probably be "in progress" for some time.

Debra

That's great, Rodney! You are fine man and a credit to your Forum.

rwcarter said:
And Excel is my friend in this instance because I was able to use the concatenate feature to prepopulate the VB Code for links to the threads.

Um. Concatenate and then prepopulate the VB Code.

But of course. Child's play.

:laugh:

rwcarter

The in-progress index can be found here. I'm playing with the layout of it. The first post will be the master list of indexed topics, and each link will take you to another post in the index thread. For example, clicking on Ace - Five under Wands will take you to the post where the threads on those cards are listed. (Links have not been added yet!)

I have to find a more manageable way to handle the Symbols section. I may do it alphabetically so that all of the topics that begin with "A" are linked in the same post, but we'll see.

If folks have any suggestions, please post them here.

Rodney