Which Original The Original RWS ?

Parzival

Recently, the Smith Commemorative has provided one of the first color schemes of the RWS. Also, the most recent "Original," printed in China, has given us another early-on color scheme. The former is more blue-toned, with golden backgrounds, the latter more blue-green-toned, with sandy backgrounds. Now, were these both experimental color schemes in the earliest printings, or is one --blue-toned or blue-green-toned-- the ur-RWS? Or is the answer to the question debatably uncertain?

Le Fanu

No idea what the question is but...

Is the US Games Commemorative edition "authentic" in the colouring? I wasn't under the impression it was. To be honest, my impression is that US Games are eternally determined not to issue a RWS which might in any way be considered authentic so that they keep the authentic ones firmly under their copyright.

They just issue various recolourings of the RWS and copyright those. I was under the impression they did this so I don't think "authenticity" is an issue behind the publications of these decks.

Is the LoS Centenary edition more accurate in the colouring? It may be (has borders, titles and stuff and a bit of naughty cropping according to roppo) but in the colouring, I believe it might be one of the more accurate ones.

So what was the question?

photokat

Le Fanu said:
So what was the question?

I would love to know, too (what the question was).

Parzival

Yes, what really was and is the question? The "Original" claims by its title to be the ur-RWS or original one before all others, while the Commemorative is original as well, according to posts here. Their color schemes are not at all the same. One is more blue and yellow, the other more blue-green or jade and sandy yellow. Is one of these truly the "Original", with intended color scheme? (Maybe, from one response, the truly first, authentic one remains hidden out of sight.) Is there really an original Original RWS tarot ?

Rosanne

Frank Hall said:
Or is the answer to the question debatably uncertain?
From The Story of The Waite-Smith Tarot by K Frank Jensen.
Two questions frequently asked are : What did the first Waite- Smith decks look like? and "what were the original colours?" These are uestions to which there were, once, no immediate answers, because no one had cared about researching these details.

He also states that a likely reason for the difference in colourings would be that the original plates were destroyed or worn out, and new ones made. Nor were any information about the process kept.

~Rosanne

Le Fanu

Rosanne said:
He also states that a likely reason for the difference in colourings would be that the original plates were destroyed or worn out, and new ones made. Nor were any information about the process kept.
You're referring to the original colours of the drawings/watercolours, right? I always thought the aim of a publisher would be to reproduce (with the lack of original drawings) the accurate colours of a first edition. Is Frank asking about the colours of the original printed cards or Pamela's drawings?

Rosanne

Hi Le Fanu!
Jensen notes that even amongst the first editions he holds there is amazing colour differences. So which one was used for the "original" series? There seems no identifying "Original".

nisaba

Rosanne said:
Hi Le Fanu!
Jensen notes that even amongst the first editions he holds there is amazing colour differences. So which one was used for the "original" series? There seems no identifying "Original".
Where are the paintings PAmela did? Surely *her* colours would be the originals?

stella hoshiko

nisaba said:
Where are the paintings PAmela did? Surely *her* colours would be the originals?

LOL~I have to agree with nisaba on this. Suppose that only hers are the most "original"..All those that we have are just copies of hers, correct?